Before I get into today’s post just a heads up for those you have recently contacted me about sending quilt tops. I am delayed in getting back to you. It might be until next week before they get shipped out. I’ve had a busy last week and weekend and this week looks to be crazy too. Thanks for getting to me and I promise, I’ll be sending them out as soon as time allows.
Now to today’s post…
I was a busy bee in the quilting room this week. When I last left you I was looking at this mess. I was hoping to get it cleaned…
The only problem is that when I clean, it actually means more than cleaning and organizing. It means tackling projects that have been dumped into the sewing room.
This little book has long been a favorite. It’s a cloth type baby book by my favorite illustrator, Eloise Wilkin.
The back cover had been ripped off and I couldn’t bear to throw it away. I ended up putting a binding on the edge just like you would a quilt.
I had a stack of dish towels and cloth napkins to hem.
That took no time at all.
Then rather than pack this up and put it in the UFO cabinet, I decided to get it together at least enough so it was a flimsy…or quilt top. I only had four blocks done.
You might remember this is our quilt that was featured in American Patchwork and Quilting called Inspired by the past. I did a tutorial of sorts on how to make the block HERE. Other info on the quilt is HERE.
When I was making mine for the magazine, I cut out too many blocks. I decided to sew them up and make them into a throw. I was one block short..
I got that block made and then started a debate on what to do for a layout.
I didn’t have extra of the pink sashing fabric I originally used. I didn’t want to buy fabric so I decided that I would use scrappy neutral fabrics instead.
I was pleased with how it was working out.
…but of course, I had to do a little seam ripping. Nothing bad.
I got it ironed, then laid it out on the floor to give it a look.
Of course, Rosie had to be her Rosie self. She saw the quilt out and immediately wanted a treat so she posed.
I tried to get her off the quilt to give it a good look but she wouldn’t get off.
I can’t decide what to do. Maybe you could help. Notice the outer edge? The blocks don’t come together to make 16 patches like in the middle of the quilt. The edges are only 4×3. Hmm. I don’t know if I like that.
When I made the quilt for the magazine, I didn’t add the sashing on the outside.
I needed it on this new version though as the top wasn’t very big so I added it.
The original quilt that my quilt was based on looked like this… Notice the patchwork top and bottom borders?
Here is a look at my top again…
I’m thinking about adding a three-layer border of squares around the whole thing. What do you think?
I also thought about adding a single-width border around with the patchwork squares so that the outer squares are all 16 patches. Hmm. I decided I would just leave that project that far along and let you all chime with your suggestion on what you would do to finish the quilt. Please leave a comment and let me know.
So being that was set aside I looked around to see what another mess was that I could tackle and right at the top of the list were these string pieced borders I’ve been working on. I need 144 or them. I only had 68 so I did some power sewing and finished all of them.
Now they need to be de-papered and trimmed to size. Whew. All of the mess at my Singer 15-91 is cleaned up. MUCH BETTER.
I did make a new purchase for the sewing room, a circle ruler. I’ve been wanting one of these. Typically when I need a circle I run all around the house looking for the size of bowl I want. NO MORE. I have a ruler…and I can see through it so I can make sure the circle is actually centered.
Sometimes it’s the little things. I didn’t get a chance to try it out yet…soon I hope. I bought mine HERE.
I’m working on another pincushion idea and this is going to be perfect.
So…my sewing room isn’t clean yet, but I’m tackling projects and that feels REALLY good. Please let me know what you think I should do for borders on my quilt. I’d love your input.