Lookie, Lookie!! I made the cover of American Patchwork and Quilting. It’s always exciting whenever we have a quilt published and even more exciting if we can be the cover!!
It’s the February 2022 issue. You can start trying to find it on the newsstands now.
Of course this quilt has a story…don’t all of the quilts I design have a back story? This one certainly does. Grab a cup of coffee or drink and read on…
First off, this quilt was inspired by a vintage quilt I found when Kalissa and I were out and about. We were shopping at a vintage store in Sumner, Iowa called Maker’s Market. It’s a fun and cute little shop that Kalissa actually sells her shirts at. I love it when she invites me along. Kalissa snapped this picture of me with the quilt. My intention was to go home and draw it up on EQ.
I got home and ugh…it wasn’t working. I ended up back at the shop about a month later and the quilt was still there. I’d been thinking about the quilt all that time..I looked at it again. Man, I loved the quilt. I just bought it.
I got the quilt home and was so disappointed. The quilt blocks had inset seams. UGH. I didn’t want to recreate that!! I can do them but I didn’t want to do enough to make the quilt. UGH. I let the quilt sit. I was so disappointed that I spent the money and now wasn’t going to reproduce it.
The quilt sat on my dining room table for a month. UGH. Every time I passed it I was disappointed. I only spent about $50 on it and that wasn’t terrible…but still.
Then one day I decided I was going to sell it at the next postage auction. I picked it up to take pictures and WAIT. With a little modification, I thought I could make the block without y-seams.
Here is the block I came up with…YES!! It’s slightly different than the original but I felt good about it.
I had to learn a new technique on EQ but finally figured out how to make the border with it. This is the quilt I came up with. YES!! This is what I had in mind.
I immediately ran to the sewing room but stopped. I decided to submit the quilt before I decided what fabrics to make it with.
With the submission, I wrote that I was willing to make it in whatever color or genre they wanted. I had thought about 30s prints. I had thought about batiks and brights…but Jody, the editor at American Patchwork and Quilting surprised me when she said yes she would love it for the magazine and suggested reproduction fabrics. Hmm. YES. I was up for that.
Here is how the block worked out on the actual quilt.
Covid was new and fresh when this all happened. Stores were closed or had weird circumstances for shopping so I decided to contact Marcus Fabrics and see if they might be interested in supplying the fabric for this quilt and happily they were.
The pretty pink and most of the other fabrics are from them. I did dig into my scrap bin and pulled a few more for variety.
Here’s the quilt all finished and at my house…
I LOVE THIS QUILT!! I love the work, struggle, and excitement that went into this quilt.
I’m happy I made it in reproduction fabrics!! If you are considering making this, look closely at the colors I used. I stayed far away from browns. I leaned more towards lighter blues. I added as many purples, yellows, and oranges as I could find. I tried to always opt for brighter fabrics but still reproduction fabrics.
I tried really hard to make the blocks scrappy. I tried to do something different in each block. I tried to not make them too “matchy”.
My rule in picking fabric was to break the rules. One block would have a dark center and the next a light. One would have spinners that matched the center-the next wouldn’t.
The binding is the same as the pink in the sashing.
When I was making this quilt I cut out too many blocks. I decided to save them and then when the quilt was published I’d do a tutorial on the construction of the blocks.
The construction isn’t hard but it’s not an easy block either. I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it. A little tutorial might help.
I’m not going to pick an exact date for that…but it will be sometime in January depending on how I’m feeling.
I think I already have enough blocks cut out to make a throw for my living room. I will need to pick a new pink fabric as there isn’t enough of that but that’s okay…
I had the backing fabric in my stash and wanted to use it. It has pink and blue and is a reproduction fabric.
I thought I’d take some pictures of the original quilt. I still love it.
When I make my next one with those of you what to sew along, my plan is to add the scrappy squares on the top and bottom.
The blocks in the original are really quirky. The backgrounds aren’t always the same color.
The centers had pieces added to them to bring them up to size.
If they ran out of fabrics they put it what they had. It’s it just precious?
Can you imagine truly only using what you have and truly having a limited supply? We all are so spoiled with our fabric stashes.
Here is a better look at the top and bottom border…
I think I might actually put that scrappy border on all sides. We’ll see.
You can see that there are lots of blacks in this…
The binding method was a little unusal.
I had so much fun on this project. I am so glad I bought the quilt and decided to reproduce it.
Looking at the original and then looking at my version reminds me of how truly blessed I am. I have modern tools. I have a sewing machine. I have the means that I can buy matching fabrics. How blessed we are!!
I have another quilt here that I bought that I’m thinking about reproducing…actually two. Stay tuned…
If you want to sew along, grab a magazine and let’s get together after the new year.