I’m doing a little series of posts that feature old blog posts. I have been going back and looking at them. It’s been fun. I started blogging in June of 2009…WOW. Over ten years. I’m so glad I’ve kept the blog as a diary of sorts…today I’m telling you about a table topper that I made with my Accuquilt Go.
I used a diamond die to make this.
I was VERY intimidated to make this at first. I had never made anything with set-in seams and was afraid to try. I decided to make a candle mat thinking that I could get myself to try one block.
I made a video at the time of the process of making a mat.
To see a video of this project, check out this link if it doesn’t show up in the post.
I started out by cutting three 1.5″ strips. I sewed them together putting the light strip in the center and darker strips to the outside. Then I placed the strip on the diamond die and cut diamonds. I cut six diamonds from the stripped pieces and six from the background pieces.
If you don’t have a Accuquilt, no problem. This little ruler is really handy and does a nice job. You can find it HERE on Amazon.
I laid the pieces out into a block like this….making sure the pieces were all oriented the correct way.
Then I sewed the pieces together….three pieces together, then three other pieces together. Then I placed the two pieces right sides together and sewed a seam.
I placed the background pieces around the edges.
Lay the background piece together as shown, sewing from only to the pin…
Now I pivoted the piece and sewed the next seam.
Then I trimmed the corner as shown.
Then I ironed it.
I finished putting the corners in place.
I need to quilt it and add the binding. The set-in seams were no big deal. In fact, I started a couple of candle mats. I am thinking that the candle mats will make a nice secret Santa gift along with a candle.
If you want to see other projects I’ve made with my Go! check out this link.
I miss making quick little projects…I guess in life there is always something to miss. It is fun going back and revisiting them though.