Hey all…I finished Garlic Knots. I’m so happy because that is another UFO off the list. I think this makes 4 that are finished. I started in July with 12 on the list. I only finished one…and then I had a little talk with myself and have stepped up and kicked it in high gear to get some of these finished.
For those wondering, this is a Bonnie Hunter quilt. It’s a paid-for pattern that can be found on her blog.
I had a great time making the blocks. They were really fun to make as the seams nestle so nicely together. The layout though…ugh. It was totally doable but it took a lot of time as the cross in the sashing has to be carefully laid out. I did a little blog post about how I did it. You can find that HERE.
When this pattern first came out I really liked it. At the time I didn’t have many batik fabrics. It just happened that a blog reader sent me a big bunch of her batik scraps.
They were all 2″ wide and that is exactly what this quilt needed. I used her scraps to make this. A BIG thank you to the blog reader who long ago sent them.
It was a windy day as I was trying to snap a few pictures.
AHH…Well, I guess you can see that I got my planters planted! HA!
I really didn’t pick the colors for this one. Whatever the blog reader sent is exactly what I used. I did add a few background prints but other than that, it was scraps from that gifted bag.
I think the border really makes this quilt. You will notice that the purple printed square in the border is the same fabric I used for the binding.
I made my quilt larger than the original. That made the border not work as written in the instructions. If you want to make yours bigger, I suggest referring back to THIS BLOG POST, to read how I altered the border to still make it work.
It’s a fun quilt for sure. I’m debating. This one might be a donation quilt for a benefit. I think it would earn pretty good money.
It’s hard to know what I want to do with it.
I’m so happy that is now out of my UFO pile and finished quilt. This one plagued me as I didn’t want to do that sashing. I don’t know why I fretted about it. It really wasn’t hard…just time-consuming and I needed to find a method that worked for me to stay organized.
A blog reader wrote to me and was sure I had messed up on the pink and yellow block. I really didn’t. It was simply that the fabric this block was cut from went from a yellow color to a pink. Then I used a pink for the center. It was likely not the bet pairing but…oh well. I did have enough time I could have changed it but opted not to.
If looking at the quilt as a whole, you don’t really notice it.
I’m so happy that I’ve had such a good time cranking out these UFOs. People tell me just give your UFOs away if they bother you…the problem, I love all of my UFOs and I really want to finish them. If I didn’t love them as I do, I would totally be tempted to give them away to a finisher…but, I’m keeping them and will continue to plug away on them.
The backing is a 100% cotton sheet paired with a batik print I found at the thrift store. I put my extra blocks in the back. That’s my typically plan to use them.
I used an eggshell-colored thread on the top and a blue thread for the backing. The quilt was busy so I didn’t want to compete with the color and design so I just did a simple stipple. It works!!
No Rosie picture this time around. She was napping. The girl needs her beauty sleep. Next time I’ll grab one for sure.
I think with this one done…it’s four off of the UFO list. Now that’s something to celebrate!!