I had a bit of time off during the week…Since I quit doing regular childcare, I’ve not really had a week that the star aligned and I had more than one extra day off. This week, I had a couple of days off. It was a treat.
I showed this picture on a previous “What I’m Working On” post and a blog reader commented that I need and deserve a new cutting mat. It’s not the first time I heard that. Blog readers often tell me that. I’m super frugal about some things and cutting mats is one of them. This one still works perfectly. I’d rather spend my money on cross stitch charts or quilt books.
I think we all prioritize what is important for us to spend our crafty money on and some, like me, but cutting mats lower on the list of priorities. I wouldn’t be surprised if I use this one for another year.
I don’t feel deprived or like I can’t afford one. I just have chosen not to buy one. To be frankly honest, I didn’t even notice it looked bad until a blog reader mentioned it to me. I just use it.
The funny thing is that the one upstairs in the sewing room looks equally as bad. I didn’t notice that one until someone said something about that one either.
It’s just my nature…
Now onto what I was sewing.
After everyone left last Sunday, I went to the sewing room and decided to squeeze in some sewing time. I had this already loaded on the quilting frame and decided to finish it.
I bound it right away. I already showed it to you on the Saturday post. Find it HERE. There’s a FREE tutorial for the block there too.
Mine is only decorative size but someday, I’d love to make a large bed-sized version.
From there I put together another row on my Garlic Knots quilt. Then Monday morning was a no school day. I had my two school-aged girls here but they didn’t come until later. That gave me time to get another row of the quilt finished.
I swear, assembling this quilt isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s not hard but SUPER time-consuming. There is a lot of getting up, grabbing a few pieces, sitting down, sewing a few pieces, and then back up again. It’s okay but definitely not my favorite way to put a quilt top together. In the end, I think it was worth it though. Here is the center of the top altogether.
From there it was time to put on the border. I already had much of it pieced…well I had enough to make the original size but I made mine bigger meaning I needed to extend the borders.
Putting on the borders was not for the faint of heart either. In the picture below, you can see the corner blocks. They are pretty and really compliment the quilt…BUT, I had to do some revamping to make them work for my quilt.
In the picture above you can see that the border is made up of two units. One is half neutral and half colored. The other is colored with a dark purply blue square. Those purply blue makes it look like there is a checkerboard going all the way around the quilt.
I went about adding the borders like we typically do. I put the top and bottom border on. Then I went to put the sides borders on. UGH. The purply blue squares were off. I ended up having to take the bottom border off.
The original pattern says that the border needs to start and end with a unit that is the colored print with purply blue but being I made mine bigger, the math no longer worked for that. It was all okay…it did require some patience though.
If you’re making yours larger, as in 10 x 11 layout, note that two of the corner blocks need a purply blue square in the corner and two need a white square in the corner.
I persevered and got the top finished. Here it is…
Scroll up and look at the picture with no border and then back at the quilt with the border. Oh my. Doesn’t that border make the quilt??
From there I picked up a new project. Remember I was wanting to tackle my 2 1/2″ strip bucket. Well, if I don’t actually sew a quilt and focus on using the strips, I will never get the bucket tackled. I ended up picking this quilt to make. The quilt is called Train Tracks.
It is in the book Start with Strips by Susan Ache. You can find the book HERE.
There are LOTS of great quilts in the book. I plan on making a few more.
I am going to write a separate blog post later this week with more info on this quilt and how I am tackling it.
I’m not pushing to get this one done…I am just casually working on it if there isn’t something else that needs more attention.
I am still on a push to get my longarming caught up. In an effort to do that, I loaded a quilt on the frame. This is my mistake quilt. I had made this when I was in chemo brain fog and it just wasn’t what it needed to be for the magazine. I ended up remaking the quilt and it will be in the fall issue of Quilts and More.
In the meantime, Russia invaded Ukraine, they are warring and the people of Ukraine need quilts…so, what does a quiltmaker do. They quickly finish some quilts. This one will totally fit the bill for this.
I took about 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do for a backing on this. I pulled and look and pulled and looked. Nothing seemed right. I ended up pulling this sheet and decided to use it. In the end, I’m liking it.
I have the quilt about halfway done on the long arm. I’m only doing a quick loopy design so I can hurry and get it finished and sent off to The Quilted Twins so it can make the deadline for the end of the month.
I am so pleased with all that I got done in the sewing room this week. Fingers crossed I have another productive week.