I had quite a bit of sewing time this last week. I had two focuses….one was to work on the 600 Flying Geese that I needed to make for my Hawaiian Sunset quilt.
It wasn’t a job for the faint of heart…
Over the course of two days, I stitched up all 600.
They aren’t all ironed yet. I set that task aside for Tuesday when Gannon is here and need something to do over naptime.
Here is a reminder of what the quilt looks like…
I just realized that when looking at the quilt, I don’t have the black that I need. Hmm. I’ll need to dig around and see if I have something. If not, to the quilt store I go. I can’t remember the last time I’ve been to a quilt store.
I’ve been working on so many UFOs and scrappy quilts that I haven’t needed to go! No worries, I’ve been spending plenty on cross stitch.
On a side note:
I’ve had several people ask me about doing a tutorial for how I make flying geese. I took the pictures the other day. Now I just need to do the write up. It’s coming soon in the next week or so.
I also did some cleaning and organizing. The sewing room is a real mess and needs attention. I’ve been doing little 15-minute clean-ups when the kids call me on the phone and they are starting to add up.
Another thing I worked on was getting a backing made.
Several years ago…likely about 2018 or so, I was at an auction and bought a box of fabric. I went back and looked. I did get it in 2018. You can read the blog post about the auction HERE. I only paid $30 for the tote of fabric this backing fabric came in.
Anyway, I had been saving the backing fabric for my Double Wedding Ring quilt. YES. It’s finally loaded and on the long arm.
I have a ton of bittersweet memories in this quilt. I’ll tell you more about that when I get it all finished. I did some tutorials and a quilt along for this back in 2019. You can see them HERE.
I’m hoping to do a little tutorial for making and applying bias binding. We’ll see if I get time for that.
For now, I need time to get it quilted. Fingers crossed that happens this week. This quilt is another on my UFO list. I’m feeling really good about that UFO list. My goal was to get 6 done by July 1st. If I can get this one done, it would be #6 on my list of 12. I’ve made a lot of progress on Hawaiian Sunset and I have a plan for Virginia Bound so maybe, just maybe I will have more than 6 of them finished for the year. Fingers crossed.
In the meantime, as I’ve been cleaning my sewing room, I found a couple of other UFOs. It looks like I’ll still be able to have enough UFO projects to participate in next year’s Dirty Dozen UFO challenge…but I’m getting more and more UFOs finished and I’m taking that as a WIN!