2020 was the year I took on cross-stitch again. I had started back up in 2019 but then most of my stitching was done at the hospital while my husband, Kramer, was sick. Then he passed away and honestly, I didn’t do much crafting or stitching for a bit.
At the time I was working my way through stitching the sheep virtues from Little House Needleworks. These…
Here is another look at them.
I stitched one of these each a month over 2019 and the last one I finished in January of 2020. I wrote a blog post that said I felt like I stitched my life into words as I stitched these. Find that post HERE.
I started this one when Kramer had his lung surgery.
I finished this one a year later.
I haven’t fully finished the set yet but that’s a goal for this year. I haven’t found the perfect thing for them.
I finished this project. It’s from Lizzie Kate. You can read about it HERE. I stitched it in 2019. I finished it in 2020.
This was a decorative cutting board from the thrift store.
I finished this…This is another Lizzie Kate design. I used a thrift store frame. This too was stitched in 2019.
The same day I finished this piece too. This was also stitched when Kramer was sick. I find stitching VERY therapeutic.
This one was Kelli’s but we finished this together…another Lizzie Kate.
I stitched this freebie. It’s still not fully finished.
I fully finished this…I bought this pattern at the thrift store and can’t remember who it’s by…maybe Bent Creek?
I stitched and finished this Lizzie Kate…
I’m not loving this finish. At some point, I think I’m taking this apart and redoing it. I don’t like so much border on the piece.
..and these two Lizzie Kate charts got stitched.
I’m hoping to finish them as the appropriate season comes.
After watching so many floss tube videos, I decided that I was interested in stitching some things that were more than “just cute”. I love all the things I’ve shown you so far, but I really wanted to dig and make something that was more of a legacy piece. I wanted to make something larger. I wanted to make something that had more meaning to it. I wanted to stitch a sampler. I was so scared to try. Samplers are stitched on 40 count fabric. It’s hard to see. The work is a little more precise.
I ended up trying something small. Kelli and I went together to buy a piece of 40 count linen as she was going to try it too. I tried it with this pattern…
I was so THRILLED when I found out I could do this. I’m so happy that I took the dive and gave it a try. This was a small design. I didn’t have a lot invested in case I failed. It was a great project to start with for 40 count stitching.
From there, I finished this piece, Seeking Refuge. It was designed by Scarlett House. This was a big stretch for me. I’d never made anything so big.
It was my Covid stitch. I started it in March. The words seemed so appropriate. This was not as big as a huge sampler…but it was bigger than the previous piece I stitched…and I was set with the newfound confidence that I could stitch on 40 count.
I watch a lot of floss tube and so many people just stitch all things seasonal. I’m a little bit different and I want to stitch things that are meaningful or commemorate my life. Of course, I want to like the design too but the verse on a piece needs to speak to me.
You can read all about how I laced and finished this HERE. I can’t tell you how happy I was when I finished this…just thrilled. I was so proud of myself because I also did a tiny bit of one over stitching in the words near the top.
With baby steps, I was moving forward.
From there I tried stitching this…
It was a fail.
I was so sad. This was a piece I REALLY wanted to stitch. I had set my heart on being able to stitch samplers. I had put a lot of money into linen and patterns thinking I would be able to stitch big projects. FAIL.
I couldn’t get the border to meet.
I gave up. I went to a new project. I went back to the linen I used for the Pins and Orts stitch which was my first 40 count project. I stitched this and had absolutely no problems with it at all…
This is Take Heart from Beth Twist of Heartstring Samplery. I did do some changes. The design at the bottom is the same red using for the top flowers. I did my initials in the same color as the letters of the bible verse…I changed that but sadly can’t remember what color I changed it to. I stitched this on 40 count Mello linen by Picture This Plus.
About then it dawned on me that maybe the problem was the linen. Maybe the other linen was hard to work with and that’s why I couldn’t get the Newcastle Bouquet project to work for me. I ended up deciding to purchase some linen that was the same linen as I used in the Seeking Refuge project and started Newcastle Bouquet all over again…
and on I stitched.
I had no problems at all. I ended up finishing this…
I am so happy about this. I love it. I love it enough that I believe I am going to send it off and have it professionally framed. I inquired about it and am feeling comfortable with doing that.
As I closed out 2020, I was stitching on this…
This is Teresa Kogut’s Heaven and Nature. I’m really enjoying stitching on this…
My year of cross stitch had lots of ups and downs and involved a lot of learning. I have plans for 2021 but I’ll save that for another blog post.
Cross-stitch is making a huge come back. I have heard of so many people who stitched years ago that are starting up again. If you are interested in jumping on the bandwagon, many cross-stitch questions are answered HERE in this blog post I wrote earlier this year.
In the crazy year, 2020 has been, cross-stitch has been such a blessing to me.