Finally a FFO

I know most of my readers are quilters and not cross stitchers so I’ll do a little explaining.  Did you read the title of the post?  “Finally an FFO”?  Well for cross stitchers it means Fully Finished Object.  For quilters that would be an entirely finished quilt.

So that means I entirely FINISHED something….I’m so happy. You might remember that I told you I finished stitching this…


Well I was determined it wasn’t going to go in the bag with the rest of my FO (finished objects).  I wanted to finish it even if I was starting to put some spring decor out.  So, I did.

Here’ it is finished.

I’m pleased with it…This is my first time finishing anything like this so for my first effort, I’m happy.

I took some pictures as I went so I could show you what I did.

I started out with my piece and this…


It’s an acid free sticky board.

I ironed my piece really well.  I used a little spray starch.  I only ironed on the back side of the piece.  I used floss that isn’t color fast so it’s important not to get it to wet.

I did some measuring.  I determined the size of my piece.  I added 3/4″ to all sides.  I decided how much bigger I wanted the “borders” or unstitched area around the edges.  Then I used my rotary cutter equipment and cut the sticky board to size.  I have a cutter that is dull.  This one will be designated as my sticky board cutter.  It worked really well.  I had to push hard but totally doable.


I flipped my stitched piece over.  Then I made lines with a pencil on the back of the piece measuring 3/4 of an inch from the edge.

These lines helped me line up the piece of sticky board.

I pulled the paper off the sticky board and stuck it in place.

Next I measure an inch away from the sticky board and trimmed off the fabric.


With a hot glue gun I started gluing the edges down.  I started with each end piece making sure the fabric was taute.


Then I worked one side.


I started in the middle pulling taute then gluing down.  Then I worked between the middle and the corner.

Once I got one side glued down, I flipped it over to see if I liked it…I did.


Then I turned the piece and glued the other side down.

I was happy with how the first sticky board adventure went so I picked fabric and kept going.


My $2 thrift store fabric is being put to work.

I cut a new piece of sticky board.  I added an 1/4″ to the size of the first sticky board and that’s the size I cut.  From there I laid the piece on the fabric on the diagonal and cut.  I wanted it on the diagonal as then I wouldn’t have to worry is the plaids didn’t line up.  It wouldn’t be noticeable.

I covered this sticky board the same way I covered the first one.

Then it was time to make a ruffle.  I ripped my homespuns on a repeat of the print so I could easily line up where to run the needle.  I stitch a running stitch always on the black row as shown.

Figure a minimum of double the length of ruffle as the size of the finished piece.  This is the needle I used.

I forgot to take a picture of gluing the ruffle down.  It took a bit as I had to adjust the scrunchiness of the ruffle trying to keep the amount of ruffles even.  After that I glued four magnets to the back….

…and stuck it to my piece.


My piece is tin so the magnets are holding it nicely in place.

I can remove the piece and put a different piece on it.  So right now I have the Winter version on…so I pulled things and kitted up the Spring version and I hope to get that stitched up.  My list of stitchy things is LONG!!

I’m so happy I did this.  If I had to do it over I think I wouldn’t leave as much outside border on it…but it’s okay.  For a first attempt I feel really good about it.

I started this last year while I was in the hospital with Kramer.  You might remember me coffee/tea dying some cross stitch fabric in the waiting room at the hospital.  This was the piece I dyed.  If you missed that story, you can read about it HERE.

I’ve come a long way in my stitching since then.  I’m interested to know where I’ll be a year from now.  I’m hoping I’m “old hat” at fully finishing by then and I hope I’m brave enough to start a big project.

A huge shout out to Priscilla of Stitching with the Housewives for giving me some ideas on finishing and on selection of floss.

12 thoughts on “Finally a FFO

  1. Helen

    Wish I could paste a pic I have of numerous quilting “terms.”
    Wombat – waste of money, batting and time
    There’s many others. I’ve thought about labeling some of my projects with these terms.

  2. Katherine Gourley

    That is soooooo cute. You get so much done and I have no clue how you do it all. I’d like to be a little mouse in the room spying on you.

  3. Janice King

    Nice finish… Have you seen the newest youtube craze ? It’s called flosstube. I know how busy you are, it’s worth a looK see.
    Love all you do.

  4. Sally Christiansen

    Good for you for finishing it up right away, when I got out my valentine decorations I found a cross stitch I finished last year and it is not framed yet! Thank you for the tutorial on how to frame. I love yours!

  5. Helen A

    I just started learning cross stitch and I’ve been really enjoying your posts on the subject. I only get 5-15 minutes a few days a week to work on cross stitching. Slowly but surely I’ll get my first project done. I love how you finished your project. You did a great job! I would never think a beginner did that. You already look like an advanced cross stitcher. Super cute! I can’t wait to see the spring version.

  6. Mary Jo B.

    Love the finished piece. And I think you have just the right amount of “border” on the project.
    Congrats!

  7. SusanfromKentucky

    It turned out so cute, Jo! Thanks for the info on the finishing items. I have a piece I am slowly but surely finishing. Bought something to use as a frame today. Can’t wait to get it done!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *