I’m going to start out today’s cross-stitch update with a few things that I purchased. I got a few different fun things in the mail.
First up I had a blog reader recommend this little tool. It’s used for cross stitching to count over and mark placement. You anchor one needle in place, count over and put the other needle in place. Then the place is marked and stays marked while you prepare your needle and thread and can start stitching. The tool is called a Thread Hopper and you can find it HERE. I can see this being handy if I am counting to see what count a scrap of linen is too.
After watching THIS episode of Daisy Kay Primitives floss tube, I ordered a few things from Charmed Jewelry Supply on Etsy.
She had shown a pillow she made and then sewed the small hole to the pillow. Then she ran a ribbon through the top hole to make a hanger for the pillow. I loved the idea and immediately bought some.
If you think you want a ribbon hanger on a project. Watch her video. I loved the idea.
Other happy news…My kit came for the stitch along. WHOOT! WHOOT!
There is still time to stitch along with us and order your kit. I talked to Liz this week and she said that most of the kits that requested 40 count linen went out this week. I’m excited to start this one!!
I welcome anyone to join us. You can find the link for the kit HERE. We aren’t officially starting until June 1st so there is still plenty of time to order and get your kit. HERE is the link. Judy at Patchwork Times is stitching along with us too. It’s so fun to have stitching partners.
The goal of this project is to introduce you to silk floss. Being we only need one skein, we thought it would be a perfect way to introduce you to it without a huge entry cost. In general, silk is about $2-$3 more per skein. Judy uses a lot of silk so if you have questions about silk, she’d be a great person to ask. Me, so far, I’ve loved it, but I’ve only used it on a few projects though.
Even more happy news. I have a finish. You might remember I was stitching on the little Blackbird Design piece that was featured in the 2022 Nashville Needlework Cookbook. I don’t have the best picture to show you of the chart as it isn’t a big picture. You can see a peek of the project in the photo below.
I’ve been stitching on this while I sit by Gannon or Georgia when they fall asleep at naptime. I finished stitching the center and then took it to my thrift store frame to see if there was room to add the border. There really wasn’t.
I ended up tea dying the whole piece after I stitched it. The fabric seemed a little bit light in the frame. Below you can see how the linen darkened after the tea dying.
I cut a piece of sticky board, added a layer of batting and then I laced the back…
I made the little bird yellow as I put out bird feeders and they are LOADED with Gold Finches.
In all the pictures I’ve shown of my sampler wall, this little frame has been sitting there but it’s always been blank with nothing in it.
I bought the frame at the thrift store for $1 because I loved it and knew someday I would come up with something to stitch and put in it.
I think it was perfect. It was just a little finish but oh my, I love it.
Next up, I need to do something for the little blackbird frame you see in the photo above. That too was a thrift store frame that I plan to stitch something for. Kayla designed a K for it and next up, I’m going to stitch that.
Now to my All Creatures Great and Small. I’ve told you that I jumped into FULL STEAM AHEAD mode on this project. That’s true. All of my evening time stitching has gone into this except two evenings. One evening I was helping Kelli. The other evening I was stitching on this. I was “in the zone” with my All Creatures Great and Small that I completely spaced off the calendar and the stitch along (I think I have “dog brain” too). So, one evening I picked it up and started back at it. I didn’t get far. It was a short evening of stitching. The plan is to do April and May before I put it back away again.
My All Creatures Great and Small got some attention. Here is where I was last week…
Here is where I am this week…
I extended the green at the bottom where the church is going to go, but my biggest focus was on the section here with the words. I extended the green line and finished everything in this area. There is a house in the middle after the words.
Before I started the house I decided to go up and work on the second section on the right-hand side. I got the dividing line stitched, and a flower and started on the rooster.
I am really liking how this is looking. It’s so pretty. So many times I’ve questioned the colors but then just stitched it as called for anyway (except the red is Anchor #20). I’m so glad I have. The colors although not what I would pick work so great together. What a fun stitch!!
I’m not sure where I’ll stitch next week. I think I’m going to either work on the border or work on the section with the rooster.
It seems like now that I’m concentrating on this, it’s getting done much faster. I keep getting super excited about it. But then I step back and remind myself the bottom row is intense stitching. Things will really slow down once I get to that point. Right now I have a goal of being done by July 4th. We’ll see. It’s going to get busier around here with gardening if the weather ever straightens up. I haven’t touched my garden yet and I always plant by Mother’s Day at the latest.
For now, I’m just going to enjoy stitching.