When we bought the house there was an old back entry way. In the entry way the previous owners had a washer and dryer and above it was an old cupboard. Before we tore the old part of the house off we saved the washer and dryer to use as a second set in the basement for Hubby’s chore clothes and saved the cupboard above it to put in our laundry room on the main floor. Last week I told Hubby that it was time to get that cupboard out of storage and get it hung. He agreed as he was sick of hearing me continually asking for a cabinet in the laundry room.
After it got pulled out hubby came in and informed me that I was out of luck. The cupboard was too big. UGH. We went out to the garage and measure and talked and measured and talked some more. We really didn’t have a different spot to put the cupboard and we hated to not use it. We’re very much “make due or do without” people so we needed to figure out how to make due. Hubby’s idea was to cut the cupboard down and have it not be the entire width of wall where we wanted it. My idea was to have two full sized doors and one half door that was cut down.
He said…nope. He didn’t like that idea. Then I reminded him that we needed a cabinet. This is what we had and if a person looks at all the primitive old antiques many of them had half doors or drawers in awkward places. Let’s just go with it I told him. After a day or so he decided it wasn’t a terrible idea and in reality it really wouldn’t be much more fixing my way than his idea of just making a 4 foot cupboard with only two door that didn’t fit the whole width of the room. Wednesday night he finished work on it….Thursday I painted…but I ended up with my own set of problems. I wanted to chalk paint it with graphite colored paint…only problem, there wasn’t much left in the can. I reminded myself that I was a “make do” gal so somehow I needed to figure it out. I didn’t want to buy another can of paint nor did I want to travel the hour each way I would need to travel to get it.
The cupboard was originally a dark blue grey similar to graphite. I decided that I would paint the un-painted parts of the piece first hoping that my paint would last.
It did. So after the un-painted parts were painted I lightly swished the brush here and there over the already painted parts. The two paints colors were close but not the same.
After the paint dried I put on a coat of clear wax and then dark wax.
Then it was time to hang it. I have to say…I just love that Kalissa lives in town. I called her asking for help and she came right over.
In no time flat, Hubby had them hanging which was a good thing as they were really awkward to hold up.
Next problem….Putting the cupboard in really dinged up the wall. Hubby thought I would have to re-paint but I didn’t.
A little soap and water an it was all good.
Next up the fun part…putting the stuff inside and emptying another box!!
My laundry detergent bottle is too big to fit in the cabinet. I’ll be on the hunt for something smaller. I make my own homemade laundry detergent and what I have I just refill with the homemade. I’d really prefer not to have the jug sitting out especially when there is plenty of room in the cabinet.
Having the smaller door to the left doesn’t bother me a drop…to me it just looks like more of a primitive piece than ever before. Would it bother you or would you rather have had only the two large doors with a space on both sides.
Currently with is our only painted piece item in the house. I thought about stripping it but the nightmare of cleaning those bead board slats had me rethinking that in a fast hurry.
Someday, if I ever make it big…I think I am going to over rule Hubby and purchase a matching set of washer and dryer. He just throws a hissy fit anytime I even suggest it….oh well, I guess there are worse things.
For now I’m just going to be thankful that the cabinet is up and in place and it costs up virtually nothing but our time. Way too often I take Hubby and his wood work ability for granted. I really am blessed to have him.