Well, the trim got all put up.
If you read the blog post from Saturday the 26th, read it HERE if you missed it, I told you that the wood trim in our house never got finished in the upstairs bathroom and sewing room. There were a few other pieces missing…one in the dining room, on in the toy room, two in my bedroom, and one in the north bedroom.
Over Thanksgiving break, our son, Buck, helped get that all put up. If you read the post you know that my husband intended on doing all of this but then passed away before he had time. He left us with this whole stack that we were supposed to sort out and deal with.
The shelving unit is chuck full…I will be honest, I can’t tell you how many times I walked passed this and was just angry. Why do people die and leave things undone? I wasn’t mad at him, just mad at the circumstances. I thought only he knew what went where. BLAH.
Thanksgiving night after everyone left besides Buck and his kiddos, we went out to the garage and started sorting.
It was annoying. One style of trim was needed downstairs and a different one upstairs. The downstairs trim came in two pieces that needed to be put together as you see in the photo below.
We looked and looked. Buck, I don’t think originally believed me that it was too pieces. Eventually, I came across this piece… It said “Dining Chimney”. It was Kramer, my husband’s, handwriting. Whew. We were going to have a little help from the grave. It turns out all of the pieces that were needed on the main floor were labeled in his handwriting. Maybe this wasn’t going to be so hard.
Below you see the hallway. Buck trimmed the west end of it, the bathroom to the left, and my sewing room that is straight ahead.
Of course, little was easy. For example, a board behind these bookshelves in the toy room needed to be put in.
So all of that had to be moved while I had six grandkids here. Then all moved back. Thankfully Kalissa was here and was helpful too.
The old pump organ had to be pulled out so this could get fixed.
The trim in the upstairs is all from a house in Chester Iowa. We pulled it all out and saved it. I wrote a blog post about it at the time. You can read it HERE.
On Saturday I was able to get a little bit of cleaning done…Here is the before I cleaned and after I cleaned shot. It looks so much nicer with the trim up.
Trust me, there is a lot more cleaning and organizing for me to do. This is the sewing room…
This is my bedroom filled with stuff from the sewing room.
Everything needs to be vacuumed and dusted. The trim needs a lot of touch-up work too. That’s all my job.
I also have bedding from the weekend to deal with.
I gotta say part of me is so happy when I see the wonderful woodwork all in place. It looks so good. I’ve wanted this done for so long. SO LONG. Part of me feels so sad. I want Kramer here to see and enjoy this.
For so long we lived in rented houses we couldn’t do anything with. The short time we did own a house, there was so much work to do to it that we never got a chance to get it all done before we had to sell it. We never got the dream house we both wanted. This house was as close as we ever got and we both really loved it. I so wish he could be here and see where the house is today. I wish we were together both appreciating the hard work we put in to harvest the wood from the house in Chester and to see it now in this house. It’s all so very bittersweet. I’m thankful I have it this far, but so sad he’s not here to see it too.
A thousand thanks to my son Buck for making this happen. It was not an easy job. So many things worked against him in getting this job done. At times he had to rip out sheet rock behind the trim to make it line up. He had to work around light switches that were put in with current trim widths in mind. He made so many trips up and down the stairs to get to the table saw in the garage. He worked his tail off to make this all look so good.
With that, I’m off to clean and reorganize stuff. I’m hoping to do a LARGE purge too. I’ll try to get some pictures taken after it’s done.