So tell me friends…What is wrong with this picture? If you guessed that I’m back at the doctor with my foot, you’re right.
UGH. I can’t believe that this has gone on so long.
It’s such a saga. It all started about his time last year when I slipped and fell on a canning jar ring….it got a lot better after about 6 weeks then I was good for a month or two. Then on my birthday in December I injured it again only in another spot. It’s never been good since…better at times but I’ve never been completely pain free.
I was tired of it. I’ve bought shoes…I’ve tried many suggestions. Things might work better for a day or two but never pain free and never normal at all. I’ve gotten to the point that I feel like my bunion gets bigger and bigger all the time.
So what’s up next?We discussed a few things.
A custom made insole that will be molded for my own unique foot. Expensive and insurance doesn’t cover it. I will have to wear tennis shoe type shoes for the rest of my life.
Surgery. It would entail breaking the bone at the top of my foot that goes to my big toe. Then readjusting it. He’d also go in for a second part of surgery and cut the bone in my second toe and shorten it. With this I’d be non weight baring for 6 weeks with a boot after that for anywhere from a week to a month. I might be able to wear shoes other than tennis shoes again but no guarantee. The risks are with any surgery…healing, infection, blood clots….hmm.
If I have the surgery it would be completely covered by insurance. I’ve met my deductible and out of pocket expenses.
I did talk to the doctor we think I would have to take two weeks off completely then I could try childcare. I’d get one of the scooter that goes under your knee. It would be slow and hard. We’d have to change up our routines and activities but I think we could manage…slowly. By then I’ll be down to fewer kids as school would soon be starting. We’d do more sitting by the table and doing activities…reading books and less outdoor running time.
What’s a girl to do? We’re likely going with surgery. If I have the custom in sole I might eventually have to go with surgery later. We have really good insurance right now. If I wait and don’t do it for 10 years or 15 years who knows what insurance I’d have and who knows if my diabetes will be worse and they’d not recommend surgery because of it. Right now, I think surgery is the way to go.
We then went on to a debate about when to do it. I thought the end of September when Kalissa and one of my childcare families is on maternity leave. Hubby said no. He says ASAP. He’ll be busy then and unable to help. I wouldn’t be able to help Kalissa then either.
With my childcare families we think it might be easier for them to find alternative care now here before school starts. Some of them have friends or relatives that work at school. They are off now and might be able to help now….
So it looks like we’re full speed ahead and looking at surgery as soon as we can get in. Oh my…I thought I might end up at the point that I might need surgery. I was just hoping it wasn’t so soon….yes, I do know there are complications but I sure like thinking of the prospect of walking pain free… Ruby does too. That poor dog needs a good walk and I’m the gal who really wants to give her one.