Before I get into what I was working on in the sewing room, I want to show you what I’ve been working on in my dining room…CLEARING OFF THE TABLE!!
For an entire month, my table has been covered with items for the postage auction. I had two auctions back to back so once one set of auction things went out, the next came in. It’s such a joy to see it this close to clean.
I have one package left from the auction. The winning bidder was Donna but I can’t get ahold of her. The email address she provided isn’t a working email. UGH. So Donna, if you are reading this please contact me at email@example.com.
I really thought I would have ZERO sewing time this week. I’ve had kids many of the days but it turns out I was in the sewing room a lot. On Monday I had my old childcare kids here along with my daughter Kalissa’s big boys. Gannon wanted to go upstairs and play with my pins. He loves doing that. I said I would go up and get them. It turns out the girls came with me too. They ended up wanting to stay up there so Gannon and I did too. The girls learned to fill bobbins…They thought it was the coolest ever.
Then the oldest asked what my longarm was. Then I showed her how to load a quilt onto the frame and did a quick run around the edges to tack the top down. That was awesome because now the quilt is loaded and ready for me to work on…
Gannon just kept playing with my pins. I have some that are metallic and some that are butterflies. He takes them and sorts and makes designs with them. If a pincushion has sections he’ll put all the white ones in one section and the yellow in another. He just loves doing it. I think I’m going to see if I can find some other styles of pins. Honestly, he’ll do it for hours and it lets me be in the sewing room. HA! Does anyone know of a place to buy some unique pins? Please share if you do.
Wednesday the boys were here again. Again, Gannon begged me to go upstairs and play with my pins. I said we could once his baby brother Anders fell asleep. He did and we did. It was Carver’s turn to fill bobbins.
Once he had that all done I gave him some Q-tips and showed him how to clean the lint out of the bottom of the machine. Yes, the machine is turned off. He thought that job was gross.
While the boys were doing that, I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Project leftovers got put away. I sorted and organized. Things had gotten out of hand. Truly they had. I ended up unearthing another UFO. I went back and added it to the list. I would so love to work on this one this year. A blog reader sent it to me. This is Emerald City from Bonnie Hunter in the String Frenzy book. I have every intention of making this in 2023 so if you want to sew along, jump in and start. I have a pretty good start already.
As I was cleaning the counters were getting better and better looking. There was this project laying on the counter though. I refuse to put it away. So…I told myself this was going to be the morning project I wake up early and sew on.
So the first day, I sewed the corner setting triangles. The next day I made two side-setting triangles. Then Friday afternoon I finished the rest of the side-setting triangles.
These are not for the faint of heart. They are intense piecing that easily gets twisted and turned.
I have four blocks that didn’t have all the pieces for them. I fudged in some pieces and I’m calling it good. I even got a couple of rows ready to sew together. WHEW. This project is happening!!
I can’t believe that some simple cleaning work kicked this project to the front of the list. I really hoping that by the next What I’m Working On Update that this one will be a top. YAHOO!!
That’s not the only thing I got done…
I decided on the fabric for my Civil War Star quilt. You might remember that Ila sent me a stack of fabric. With my cleaning and organizing I had a big enough surface of counter space to lay it all out and make some decisions. I think this is the final answer.
I would have loved to cut it out but that didn’t happen.
When I knew I was going to have grandkids at my house for several days in a row, I grabbed a bucket of scraps from the sewing room and decided I’d work on cutting them up for my scrap users system. I worked on that over the course of three days. I would have finished it up more quickly but a package came in the mail from a blog reader that was all scraps so I sorted them all immediately being I already had the mess going.
I have another box that I need to trim down yet. I might let that one wait, I might do it as long as the mess is out. All I know is that I do want to get to cutting out the Civil War Star Quilt.
At the beginning of the week, I thought I would be struggling to have anything to write about in my What I’m Working on update this week but look!! I actually accomplished a lot. Having the sewing room clean is a huge accomplishment just all on its own. I have today and tomorrow off from kids so fingers crossed the Frolic quilt will be a top!!