I happened to have an “off week” in the grandma department. I just didn’t need to watch kids very often. This next week, I’m going to have kids and family here every day and I know I won’t make it to the sewing room much at all…so I decided I better make the best of it while I didn’t have a lot going on.
I am REALLY trying to work on UFO projects and par down the projects that are just hanging around so I decided to do the whole snowball effect of working on things. That means anything I could finish quickly, I was going to finish. I had a goal to finish four projects…and I did. I’m so happy with myself. (Anything to avoid doing my taxes. UGH)
I started out with the easiest project. Kayla gave me a quilt top that I had machine quilted for her and the she didn’t bind it. She decided that she didn’t want it. I ended up cutting out binding, making it, and getting that bound. That was easy and that started me on my roll.
I didn’t get pictures taken of it but will show you that soon. Next up…
I pulled my red bow tie quilt. A blog reader gave me the blocks and a few pieces. Later on, another blog reader gifted me more red fabric to match the red for the alternate blocks. I made a backing for this, put it on the longarm and machine quilted it.
Oh, I love this quilt. I decided that I’m keeping it for myself. I could use another quilt for the living room.
I bound this one too. I really was on a roll. No pictures yet though.
I loved the roll I was on so I stuck with it. I really took a HUGE leap on this project. It’s been sitting here for almost two years. A friend of the family asked me to finish a quilt top that she had that was her Grandma’s. Oh my. It was in bad shape. This has been hanging over my head and I wanted it gone so not time like the present, right??
The top was thin. It was in rough shape. I don’t want to say anything bad about the maker so I think I will politely say I think she picked a pattern that wasn’t suited to her ability. I had talked to my friend and she said to just do what I thought best. I started out by re-seaming some of the seams that had come loose. I ironed it. It was still a wavy mess so I made a backing and did my best.
Everything that could go wrong, did. But I stuck with it. NINE hours later it was off the longarm and bound. I’ll tell the whole story on it later in the week.
Even thought working on that one was a trying experience I decided not to let that get me discouraged, after all…It was FINISHED. So picked up the next quick finish.
This is another piece that has sat here for a long time. Kayla made some spool blocks and sewed them together but never finished it. She didn’t want it so she gave it to me. I pulled out my tote of 30s fabrics and tried to figure what I had and how I could finish this.
I cut an inner border, outer borders and onto the longarm it went.
I got that one finished and bound too. It was a whirlwind weekend in the sewing room. I got four projects COMPLETELY finished and out of the sewing room. Sadly now there are all stacked up on the dining room table waiting for me to take pictures and write up the blog post telling the whole story about each of them.
WHEW. It feels so good to have them out and finished. I’m kind of an odd duck. Sometimes my way of “cleaning” is to finish projects rather than find a spot for them in the sewing room. I’m so glad these are all finished. It has me wanting to tackle the stack of charity flimsies I have in my sewing room. It sure would be nice to have them finished should someone ask me for a top.
It won’t happen this week. My shoulder needs a break. Longarming and binding that many quilts all at once takes a bit of a tole on my shoulder…not enough that I’m not going to keep longarming but enough that I know I need to give it a bit of a break.
Anyway…I’m a happy gal to have accomplished so much. It will be awhile before that happens again though. Between family and taxes, I’m gonna be busy this week.