I didn’t get a lot done in the sewing room this week. With three foster dogs here and Izzy not loving Susie, I had to stay around the dogs until they got their pecking order figured out. One day, I kenneled them all and decided to go up and finish the quilt that was on the longarm. It was this one…
After I was done with it, I came down, let the dogs out, and then went back upstairs and bound it. It’s been too long since I’ve had a finished quilt…
This is my favorite fabric combo on the quilt…
You might remember that this quilt was given to me as a UFO. The person who previously worked on it sent extra fabric to finish it. There was enough for the binding that matched the sashing so that made picking a binding color super easy. As always, I used my Third Hand Binding Tool (HERE is a link for one. If you put in the coupon code “JOSENTME” you can get 20% off the entire site.)
Then it was binding time.
I didn’t get pictures of the finished quilt yet. That’s this week’s job.
Other news in the sewing room…I did some prep work.
On Sunday afternoon I told myself I could have the ENTIRE afternoon to sew. It’s been such a long time since I’ve had a long uninterrupted time to sew.
I needed to film the last segment of the improv crumb quilt I’ve been making for my grandson Anders. I really started out with only the intention of doing prep work and then switching to a different project. Then as I worked I started to think that maybe I could film a couple of segments one day and film the rest of the segments the next day. YES!! I was so excited. That would get me closer to a finish and I loved that idea.
I would film a segment. I would sew a segment. I would sew the next piece. I would film and before I knew it, I had the tops almost finished. I was MAJORLY excited!!
This quilt has been hanging over my head for some time and it was just time to be done with it. I was starting to be really embarrassed with myself. Anders is soon to be FIVE months old and I don’t have his quilt done. Oh my.
I needed a block for the corner and dug to see if I possibly had something that would work. I had this block but there was no orange in Anders’ quilt. I ended up cutting off the orange…
…and put different fabrics in. I so wanted to be done. Anything that was mostly good that would bring this to a finish was AWESOME.
At this point, I knew I would just keep working on the quilt. To heck with other plans…to heck with other projects. I was too close to a finish to not stick with the momentum I had going. Everything was going so well…until this! Do you see what I did? I sewed the x, y, z border on the wrong way. Darn. Some time with a seam ripper and I was back in business pushing for a finish.
Not only did I finish the top but I also put together a backing AND I loaded it on the quilt machine.
I have to take Mork, my foster pup to the vet today. I have to meet with his new family and turn him over…then I am going STRAIGHT to the sewing room and I am FINISHING THIS QUILT!!
I am going to do the longarming…then the binding. When I go to bed tonight come hell or high water, I’m going to have a finish on this quilt. I might not finish the video editing that goes with the last installment of this quilt but I will have the quilt finished. Oh my. I can’t wait!! Watch my Instagram today for some updates!! You can find me at jo_joscountryjunction.
Whew…two projects are wrapping up. I wonder where my quilting path will lead me next…