As you read blog posts this week, you’ll see I had another busy week and that means not a lot of sewing got done. I keep telling myself that next week I’ll be a little closer to a normal schedule and have some sewing time but it’s just not happening so I think I might as well accept it as the “new normal”…at least for a bit.
I kind of kick myself because I don’t get more done and then I stop and realize, I did get stuff done, just baby steps. Then I remind myself that they will add up and projects will get finished. It’s just going to take time. This is an example.
Here is my churn dash quilt I’ve slowly been working on. I got this far and got stuck.
I don’t know how I want to finish it. Here are some thoughts that have run through my head.
I have more of the red. I only have about 1 1/2 yards.
I thought about a dark narrow border.
Reds are hard to match.
I started by… trimming the edges. This is necessary anytime I put anything in an on-point setting.
I ended up searching online trying to find more of the fabric but instead found another fabric from the fabric line. It is Garabaldi from Blue Hill Fabrics. The new fabric is black with a red flower. Being it’s from the same line, I’m making the assumption that the reds will coordinate. They only had 1 yard of the fabric left so I bought it. I don’t know if it will be binding or what it will be. I just know I am one baby step closer to having a real decision made with this.
I also made baby-step progress on my hourglass quilt. I cut out about 70 more blocks and started sewing them together. I got another row sewn onto my quilt too. As I said, baby steps.
Do you remember the deadline quilt that I was hoping to have finished and sent out? UGH. It’s not bound. It’s due November first so I’m still okay but that clock is TICKING…LOUDLY.
That quilt needs a bias-cut binding because it has a scalloped edge. I got the binding strips cut. Have you cut them before? It’s not hard.
I cut a 3/4 of a yard piece of fabric.
I opened it up and then folded it like this.
I turned it so the fold was at the top of the cutting mat. I aligned the ruler on the fold and cut.
Now treat it as you would any other piece of fabric you are cutting binding strips for. I cut mine at 2 1/4″ but most people cut at 2 1/2″.
Continue cutting until you have the desired amount of strips.
I am writing this post on Sunday and as soon as I get finished writing it, I’m heading to the sewing room to get this bound. Plans are for it to get in the mailbox Monday or maybe Tuesday morning. It will still have time to get to the magazine publisher in time. WHEW.
I am still slowly working on my grandson Anders baby quilt. I’m taking you all along as I make it. This week I filmed a video and the letters N through R finished.
These are free-form piecing with no real pattern.
You can click the play button and watch the video here on the blog or you can go to Youtube by clicking THIS LINK, save it, and watch it later on your television or device.
I also filmed a cross stitch (floss tube) video. You can press the play button and watch that here or you can save that one HERE.
As you read this I’m heading out to pick up a new foster pup. I’m not sure which one I’m getting. I’ll tell you more in an upcoming blog post…looks like next week won’t have a lot of progress either!! Oh well.
I know, I sign myself up to do too many things but I love fostering pups and want to continue doing it.
Of all of my hobbies, fostering pups is at the top of the list with quilting and cross stitch and reading and podcasts and gardening and cooking all VERY close behind!!