I had a bit of a topsy-turvy week in the sewing room. The garden is still not to the point that it isn’t taking up a lot of time so sewing time is limited but I am getting to the point that I’m getting a little time in there.
I got the sewing room on Wednesday and decided it didn’t make any difference what I work on, just that I work on something. I’m at an awkward spot where I don’t have a specific project that I’m working on. Almost everything that I was committed to is done or close to done.
I decided that the first thing I saw that had any spark of interest was what I was going to do.
At the top of one pile, I found a piece of flannel and a piece of Minky that I planned to make a baby quilt from for Craig and Kalissa’s new baby. I loaded that on the longarm and did some quick easy machine quilting.
I easily finished that, trimmed the backing and flipped the Minky over to the front side, and sewed it down. It’s nothing fancy but I’m sure Kalissa will love it.
From there I hemmed a stack of flannel for baby care kit receiving blankets.
Next, I grabbed this panel. My plan for it was to make a preschool napping quilt for Gannon.
I already made his pillow. I planned to make it something like Carver’s with the Lori Holt Spelling Bee Book but nothing clicked.
Being nothing clicked at the time, I left it all out on the longarm hoping something will come to me.
I ended up moving on. I scanned the sewing room to see if there was something else I could quickly knock out. I found this project.
I didn’t have all of the blocks done. This project has stalled out since a year ago. I’ve just not had the desire to get back to it. But, it’s sat in my sewing room and I never packed it away.
I believe there are six more blocks to sew…but I wanted some machine time. I decided that being I was going to be sewing them together in order that it was okay that I started sewing them together.
Originally I thought to use this Grunge fabric you see in the photo below. I cut a few strips and didn’t like it.
I went digging and found the fabric below instead.
I like it much better. I’m actually excited about it now and really want to finish it.
I want to finish it so much that I finally got busy and cut out the rest of the blocks for the top. I’m so happy that they are all cut and ready to go for the next time I ended up with some sewing machine time.
It’s so fun to be working on this project as the 4th of July approaches.
Do you remember the strip of sewn together blocks a blog reader sent to me? This one?
I was pretty sure the maker used this pattern, True Blue. You can find it in THIS book.
I decided to cut out a couple of test blocks. I was reminded why I often don’t like making quilts from others’ patterns. Most people don’t cut out quilts as I do. They write the cutting instructions to cut all the light-colored fabrics all at once and then cut all the dark at once. They are cutting from fat quarters.
Not me. I’m cutting from all sorts of different pieces. I have some leftover 10 squares in the mix…pieces left from quarter yard cuts…some odd pieces I picked up at the thrift store. I don’t have a standard size and never go out and buy all new fabric for a quilt. Also, I’m not a gal who draws a line on the back of the square before I sew it. I’m an easy angle girl…so, I did a little rewriting so the block cutting directions were friendly to me.
Here I am cutting making the sewing leg of this journey a little easier.
Here I have two blocks cut. Both will be the same colors.
I went to my sewing room and sewed those two blocks with the hope that they would go together the right way and work with the blocks the blog reader sent me.
They look good…and were quick and easy to sew together.
I tested them with the pieces that were sent to me measuring and making sure they would all work together….and they do. WHOOT!! WHOOT!!
So now it’s full steam ahead on getting these cut and sewn. I think I am going to love this project.
I counted and the blog reader who sent this project is after my own heart. She made her quilt start bigger than the original just as I planned to.
I got the double wedding ring quilt off the longarm. That part of it is finished.
I got it trimmed so next up is binding. Fingers crossed that I can get to that this week. I sure hope so. I’m ready to be done with this one…beyond ready to be done with this one.
I don’t have a lot to show for the week but I’m super happy that I got a little fire lit under my bottom to get me going on the Flag quilt and the True Blue quilt. I’ve needed a little fire to get lit under me…and other good news, I think I have a plan for Gannon’s quilt.