I feel like I could take a blog post from a couple of weeks ago and copy/paste it right here because that’s exactly what happened this week. I did the exact same thing I did two weeks ago.
In that post I wrote…
“The quilt tops are now with my friend Carla of Longarm Quilting Inspirations. She is going to work her magic on these and then get them back to me. In the meantime, I’ll get some binding strips together. I’m hoping she has the tops back to me in early March. I’ll bind them and then get them off to the magazine.”
Well, Carla got the quilts, and oh no. Something was wrong. I looked and looked at the quilt. Something just wasn’t right. The blocks didn’t line up.
I told Carla to wait for a second and I was going to go look at the design in EQ. When I was sewing the top, something seemed off but I had cut everything according to the directions. BLAH.
This quilt has a long story and I’ll tell it at some point but not yet. Long story short. While I was full of oral chemo and radioactive iodine (=brain fog), I cut this quilt out. I had designed and tweaked this a couple of times. I had trouble with the math and had adjusted things a couple of times. I ended up printing out about three sets of cutting instructions tweaking them just slightly each time. I think I grabbed one paper of two different sets.
Whatever it was…I ended up having to make the entire quilt all over again.
It wasn’t happy sewing. It was frustrating sewing. I kept wracking my brain trying to figure out for sure what I did wrong and being frustrated I didn’t stop myself along the way. UGH.
I was happy when I got this far…Assembly.
If you remember…this was also the quilt that I needed to make a large size AND and doll-sized quilt for. UGH. It was more frustrating sewing.
I was in such a funk the whole time. All I really wanted to be doing was clean the sewing room and get back to a fresh start. There is nothing worse for me than trying to sew in a disorganized out of control space. So…I made myself a little working plan.
I would sit and sew…I would check out the room. Each time I got up to iron, I could do two jobs that would make an improvement in the sewing room. Sometimes that was empty the garbage. Sometimes that was water the plants. Sometimes it was picking up the dog toys.
It doesn’t look like it…but some improvements did happen. The quilts got finished too. Carla has the quilts.
A blog reader asked about the quilts…they will be published in the Fall issue of Quilts and More. I used a fabric line called The Sea and Me by Moda. I got both quilts out of one layer cake but that was ZERO cutting error and with only five small tiny scraps left. I recommend buying a layer cake and a charm pack to be totally safe. I used a light gray. I am thinking about 6 yards worth. I didn’t measure it out…I can if someone needs me to.
I spent about an hour more cleaning in the sewing room and that’s really about all that happened there. Hopefully, Carla doesn’t call me and let me know something is wrong with this version. I’m so thankful for Carla. She saved me.