I am still plugging away on the Frolic leftovers. I don’t want to start in on sewing blocks together until I have all of the blocks made. Then I’ll better know what to design.
You might remember that I had these little pieces that are also Frolic leftovers. These were all bonus triangles. They needed to be trimmed. I’ve been working on that over the last month. I cut a few over naptime or while supper is cooking. I had the ones on the cutting mat left and decided that was it. I was trimming until I was finished and that’s exactly what I did.
Here they are all done.
These are all 1 1/2″ half square triangles. There are four patches too. I am not sure at this point what I’m going to do with them. They could be their own quilt, or they could be incorporated with the other Frolic blocks. We’ll see.
At least now they are trimmed and ready to go should I need want to use them.
Speaking of Frolic blocks, YES…I am still working on them. I feel like I am never getting them done. But then I remind myself that I had a busy October with very little sewing time…and between all of the different types of blocks I’m making, I’ve really sewn a lot of quilt blocks.
Then…this happens. I went to iron the block and oops. I have the top piece of the star block on the left turned around. UGH.
I ripped it out over naptime. Then the next morning I sewed it together. I opened the block to iron it and LOOK. I did the same thing all over again. Some days are like that. AAAHH!! Yes. I finally did sew it together the right way. What do they say?? Three times the charm?
I got everything (for the most part) sewn into blocks. Here is where I was at with the pink/white ones. 52 blocks. Hmm. I could set two aside and end up with 49 to make a 7 x 7 quilt…or I could make four more blocks and have a 7 x 8 quilt.
I made some more blocks…
and then thought…
Heck with that. I’m going to make enough extra so I have 64 blocks which could be an 8 x 8 setting.
I have 64 of the pink/blue combo and 30 of the blue/aqua combo.
I have 20 of the blue and white. These will be a baby quilt. I have 73 of the green background blocks.
So…now what am I going to do with them all. It’s design time. Hopefully, I’ll come up with something and have at least one set sewn into a top by next week. I’m relieved to have all the pieces sewn together. I still have a few more pieces but not a lot.
Being I finished trimming the small half square triangles I showed you at the beginning of this post and I finished the frolic blocks, I decided to pull another nap time project.
I pulled a big box of scraps. In the push last month to clean out the mail and find everything a home, I ended up pulling small scraps and throwing them in a box. Most charity quilters don’t like bits and small pieces. They are time-consuming to use unless you’re making string blocks. I threw them into a box and allowed myself to keep them. I got it all trimmed and ready to into my scrap users system.
I finished those and then had a box of batiks that also needed trimming. Here are just a few.
I cut down anything that was smaller than a fat quarter. I know I am going to make 2022 my year of cleaning out my scrap buckets and my focus is going to be on my 2 1/2″ bucket first so I cut mostly 2 1/2″ strips.
I still have a lot more trimming to do and will work on that over the week as my naptime/downstairs project.
I almost forgot. Kalissa did get my “Sew with Jo” edited. You can watch it here.
If you missed my Youtube channel, you can find that HERE. There are many other videos there.
If anyone has some layout ideas for my blocks that I made from the frolic leftovers, I’d love to hear them. I’ve been so focused for so long on just getting them done that I’m having trouble shifting gears and being inspired to design something. Please leave a comment if you do.