I sewed very little last week. I told myself that I really needed a clean slate with the community quilt project. I worked super hard. I still need to address my email but at least the physical stuff I see here all of the time is under control. I have two more mail posts coming up this week but all of the stuff is taken care of and in place. I still have more quilt tops here looking for a home. So if anyone needs/wants any to finish for charity, drop me a note and I’ll package some up and send them your way.
I missed the sewing machine but it’s okay. A fresh slate is what I needed.
Under the mess on the dining room table, I unearthed two little doll quilts I made for the childcare kiddos. I completely forgot about them. Kelli made these a long time ago with leftovers she had hanging around. They sat in my sewing room for a long time. I kept prioritizing things differently and they never made it to the top of the pile. I’ve had mostly boys at childcare ever since Carver was born. Even though the dolls are available they don’t play with them very often. Now Georgie is here and she loves playing with dolls so when I found them, I put them on the long arm and quilted them.
I did a micro stipple on them.
The fabric was a Moda fabric line but I don’t remember the line. It was leftover from something Kelli had made.
I’m glad I got the dining room table cleaned off enough to unearth them.
As far as sewing, I got little done during the week. Then over the weekend the boys, Buck and Karl, worked on Karl’s house. I’ll tell you more about that in another blog post. That left me with little sewing time. I was still up early on most of the days and put in a little time at the machine before my day got busy.
You might remember I was working with some Frolic leftovers that some blog readers had sent my way. There were MANY flying geese parts. I ended up making this block with them…
I’ve been able to make 35 blocks so far. I love the block and love that there is no light color in it.
I have no idea how I’ll lay these out or what I’ll do with them. At this point, my goal was to get them this far.
I played a little bit…should I put a sashing between them? If so, what color??
Do I lay them side by side?
I made a couple of star blocks with other leftover Frolic pieces. I don’t like them mixed with these blocks.
I ended up cutting more pieces and will make more of the blocks with the green background. I haven’t used up all of the flying geese yet and I want to get all of it used up. I think I’ve cut enough so that I’ll have 49 blocks when I’m finished using them up.
49 blocks only gives me a 7 x 7 layout. The blocks are 8″ finished so that would only be a 56″ x 56″ quilt if I don’t come up with a bigger layout. I’d really like to make something that is at least twin-sized…could be up to full sized or queen.
I love working with something like this. It just makes my heart happy to be truly playing and not tied to a deadline or pattern.
I’m hoping to get a little extra time and draw this up into the EQ computer program so I can play even more.
That’s all I’ve gotten done in the sewing room. Hopefully I’ll tackle more next week.