I had a SUPER busy sewing week this week. You all are going to be shocked at all I got done. I was hoping for a weekend to myself but then plans were made with the grandkids so I didn’t think I’d have time but then the plans changed again and I had most of the weekend to myself.
I decided I was going to do a “quilt snowball”. If any of you are listeners of Dave Ramsey he suggests that if you are in debt to tackle your bills a bill at a time paying off the ones that are the smallest first. His theory is that by paying off those small bills, you’ll see progress and be excited about sticking with your debt paying.
For me, I decided to tackle some of the projects around here that have been nagging at me.
So…over the week I did what I could to set myself up for a grand sewing weekend. I got Kelli’s quilt out and figured out a border for it.
The quilt wasn’t very big and it could easily handle a border so…
I measured the size of the blocks and decided to cut the borders at that width.
This is an off-color of blue that’s hard to match. I found this at the quilt shop the week before.
Here was the borders and matching binding all cut and ready.
Next up I cut borders for my County Fair quilt. A blog readers asked the print I found for that. This is it.
What a cute selvage!!
I only cut borders for this. I don’t know what I’ll do for binding.
When Saturday morning hit. I was up and sewing right away. With the “quilt snowball” in mind, I did easy projects first with some Bitcoin units sewn as leader and enders.
Putting on borders was quick. See? This is ready for the longarm.
The pattern suggested using a plain white on the outer border. I like this much better.
Then it was borders for Kelli’s quilt.
Another is ready for the longarm.
After that is was time to catch up on my flag blocks. This is from Lisa Bongean’s American Quilter’s Stitch Along. Find more info on it HERE.
This is a quilt along. I was two weeks behind but I’m all caught up now. Another thing checked off my list.
I am making pinwheel blocks for Eli and Emmett’s baby quilts. I cut more pinwheels over the week and I decided that I would sew all of them next.
I sewed up a bucket of them and then set them aside. Later in the day one of my kids called and I ironed them while we talked.
After they were ironed I was 15 blocks short of the 180 blocks that I needed.
Later another one of our kids called and I cut out the extra 15 blocks while we talked and then I sewed them up. I got all 180 and of the blocks done. Next up I need to make the tractor blocks for the quilt.
In between all of that I was sewing Bitcoin strips together. Bitcoin is a Bonnie Hunter pattern that she recently released.
From there I moved on to work on my Lori Holt Red Sampler Quilt Along. I had cut the “B” piece the wrong size so had to recut them.
…and however many weeks later, I am finished the last of the blocks for the quilt.
I didn’t stop there though. I went on.
I got the center stitched together and stopped that project there knowing I needed to find fabric for the borders.
This is not my normal style of quilt at all…but I’m pleased with it and I enjoyed quilting along.
Carver needed a quilt for preschool naptime. I thought this might work. It would be easy to put together.
The pattern can be found in Lori Holt’s book Spelling Bee. Find it HERE.
Over naptime, on Thursday and Friday, I had cut out a bunch of squares from recycled shirt fabric. I sewed them together.
It was super easy sewing. I did it leader and ender style while I was sewing on other projects.
Before I knew it, I had this…
I didn’t stop there. I started in on making Carver’s name.
Before I quit at 7pm I had this much done.
WOW…right?? What a lot of sewing. But wait….there is even more. I wrote a blog post that will be up tomorrow. I put the binding on a few charity quilts and I saved all of that for a post tomorrow…and I finished Carver’s quilt on Sunday. I’ll share all of that in Friday’s post. It’s all too much for one post.
…and in between it all, sewing things as leaders and enders, I got this far on my Bitcoin quilt. Oh my…I love the look but I hate sewing the rows together. There are so many seams to match. I will finish it because I am loving the look but matching all the seams stinks.
This week I hope to get the Red Sampler quilt borders on. I also hope to get Eli and Emmett’s baby quilts a little bit closer to done. I won’t have as much sewing time this week but that’s okay. I TOTALLY loved the whole “quilt snowball theory”. It was the perfect plan when I had so many quilts that were so close to becoming tops, binding, or just needing to get one significant step further. I do have a big pile that needs to be machine quilted now though. I guess that will be another big push. Fall is coming though and I always have more quilting time then so that’s totally okay.
What a fun weekend sewing!!