I’ve really tried to sneak in more sewing time this week. I don’t know if I’ve been successful, but I did try. Anytime I try I seem to get a little more done than normal.
I’ve been so tempted by little things lately. I started the Red Sampler Quilt Along and have so enjoyed that. That has lead me to looks at some other things I normally wouldn’t have done. Have you seen the little quilt flag wall hanging that Temecula Quilt Company put out? This is it. (Photo taken from Temecula’s blog)
It was cute but not something I really needed so I changed things up a bit. I made one flag and made it into a pillow. Here it is…
I decided to give it a little updo by adding the rustic star, button, and gourd pin. I got the stars HERE on Amazon and the pins HERE on Amazon.
The pins and stars both come in a big bundle so I’ll be using lots of these in future projects too. Isn’t it just the cutest?? It was simple and very quick.
The pillow is an easy filler in my dough bowl. I love how it turned out. Simple and easy was perfect for me. It’s so fun to do a quick little project that can be finished in an hour.
I also got sidetracked by this…
Have you seen this??
The quilt along is hosted by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings. You can find her blog HERE. The pattern is being offered for free but Lisa is asking that people make a donation to Hogs for Heros for use of the pattern.
If you want to know what the quilt will look like, check out the picture below from Lisa’s Blog. Oh my. You all know I love red, white, and blue. How could I not make this, right???
Lisa is offering her fabric line available via her shop if you want to make it just like her’s. Me…I’m using my scraps. It’s been nice as I’ve been using leftovers from my Red Sampler Quilt Along. Mine will be a little different as I’m using Civil War Reproduction fabrics. I am leaning towards shirting fabrics.
I will have to break down and buy some yardage for the sashing. I can’t remember the last time I went to a quilt store. I’m guessing a year ago?!
I started with just making the corners block of the main block.
You can see that I was working on the Iowa Hawkeyes tumbler block quilt in between the working on these.
Once I had the four blue corner blocks done, I finished them up by adding the stripes.
I’m late to the game as they are already on blog #3…well #4 now. So, I was playing catch-up this week. There are 20 blocks in the quilt so if you want to start, there really is plenty of time to join in.
I’m hoping to get some time to work ahead and get the flag stripes sewn together in advance. Then each week all I will have to do is make the corner blue block.
I really do love this pattern and am excited to be in yet another quilt along. I never have done quilt alongs so this all really surprises me that I’m liking it so much!
Speaking of quilt alongs. I’m working on my Red Sampler quilt along. This week Lori upped the game. We are making four blocks…all 12″ ones.
I was able to get them all done.
About half way through the week I did remember why quilt alongs can be frustrating to me. The answer is this. I am ready to be done. I’ve loved it all along but I’m ready. I’m ready to wrap it up. I want to move on to another project. I want the mess of this project cleaned up and put away.
So…I decided to start working ahead. Coming up down the road, for the setting I want to do, all of the blocks will need to have a border put on them. I decided to start doing it now…
I ended up having so much momentum that I just stuck with it and bordered all of my finished blocks.
Knowing there were more blocks coming up, I even cut more strips for the border for them.
Then Saturday I watched Lori Holt’s latest video on Youtube…this one.
She ended up giving us a sneak peek at five of the next upcoming blocks.
I got them cut out and started on them too. They aren’t all finished but I’m so happy they are cut out and I can tackle them in my morning sewing sessions this upcoming week.
This house block is next for me. I can’t ever remember sewing a house block. Looks like I’m going to get to make four!
Besides all of that, I finished machine quilting a charity quilt. I got the binding cut for that.
I bound another charity quilt too.
…and I did some tidying in the sewing room. I need to do more and all of the extra stitching on the quilt alongs was partly so I could get the sewing room cleaned up a bit.
I have some time off coming up in a couple of weeks. I am hoping I can dive deep into Eli and Emmett’s baby quilts then so if I have the sewing room cleaned up a bit, that will be so much easier.
…and that my friends, is what I’ve been up to this week in the sewing room.