My crazy life continues. Thankfully I had Saturday to catch up a little bit.
I’ve been trying to get my Maker’s Market quilt finished. I’ve been hustling all week without any real time to really sew. Every day I would pin a row or two over naptime and then the next morning before childcare I would sew what I had pinned.
By Saturday morning all I had left to do was sew on the last couple of rows…but then I realized I didn’t make enough sashing rows so have to make one more.
I got the top together on Saturday afternoon. Then it was time to give it a really good ironing. I smiled as I went through the blocks. I really wanted the quilt to have the same feel as the one I was inspired by so periodically I did things like this…made due and subbed in an “off” piece.
The background prints were supposed to all match, but occasionally they didn’t. It was more like a utility quilt our grandmothers might have made. I loved it and it made me smile.
After that, I made a backing. I got that ironed and the quilt is loaded onto the machine.
That’s when I decided to take a break and do some things I needed to get done in the sewing room. I put a few things away…there’s more to clean but I have a start.
I used my hemostat and fixed the string in my hoodie. If you don’t have a hemostat, they are so useful and I recommend them. They are technically designed for medical use but I use them all the time. If I’m sewing and need to turn something small right side out, I reach the hemostat in and grab the inside. They are a must-have tool for me. Find them HERE on Amazon. I use them around the house too. The other day when my brother Jay was here, he used them to fix the dishwasher.
Then I decided it was time to sew something for me…no deadline. I found these leftover blocks and thought to make a table topper for in my living room.
I decided to set them with alternate blocks. I opened my 2 1/2″ bin that is OVERFLOWING and grab some squares.
In no time at all I had this. Dang. I want to make this quilt sized. I love it.
OOPS. In the picture, I can see I have one four-patch turned. It’s an easy enough fix.
Here is a close-up picture of it. It’s completely scrappy and is all just 2″ finished four patches with alternate squares. I can definitely see a large quilt like this in the future.
It might even put a dent in my scrap buckets. I’d expand on this and make it bigger but I don’t think I can match the white squares. So, for this one, little is going to be okay.
My plan is to make this a couple of rows wider and call it good. I counted and do have enough four patches for that. This is so awesome. It will be a cute quick little finish…that is after the deadline quilt gets done.
I really should have kept going with that and got it machine quilted but I so just needed to do something that was for me. I have more plans that I want to show you with little quilts but for now, this is all I’m sharing.
With that…I’m off. I’m writing this on Saturday night. I am getting together with the kids tomorrow and then staying over and hanging with Buck’s girls on Monday. I can’t wait!! I’ll let you how things went and overload you with pictures of our day later in the week.