I’ve been busy in the sewing room still. A lot of quilt folding and more sorting has happened.
On Saturday I felt like sitting and doing nothing…I didn’t though. I really want to get as far as I can on the sewing room this month. I’ve promised myself I need to accomplish something every single day this month. I’ve discovered, it doesn’t happen on it’s own so whether I want to do it or not, I do something.
I told myself if I didn’t feel ambitious, that was okay. I could sit and watch television but then I’d have to sit at the sewing machine to do it. So, I looked around the room for something I could get done to clean the sewing room and that could sit at the sewing machine to do so I could still laze a bit and watch TV.
There was a project I’ve been putting off for some time…napping mats. Some time ago before Covid I was at the thrift store and bought a rainbow striped quilt that was quilted with a big stitch. I ended up buying it with the intention of cutting it into fours, adding a pillow to them-then adding a binding to the two cut sides to make a napping mat with attached pillow. I thought it would be quick and then I would have four mats that were all the same…less fighting.
I had gotten this far. The quilt was cut into fours and I had purchased the fabric.
Then it sat. Well Saturday was the day to tackle them.
I cut 18″ width of fabric for each pillow. I sewed around the edge on three sides, trimmed, turned right side out and stuffed them. Then I sewed the opening shut.
I pinned to the mat
Then I sewed the binding down with my machine just like I do for quilt binding making sure to catch the pillow in the seam as I bound.
This is what they look like all finished….
I think they are so cute…and to prove I didn’t only make one but indeed did all four, here’s a picture of me holding them!!
I gave them a good wash and dry and now they are rolled up and ready for use.
I’m sure someone is going to wonder why I made them as I’m not doing childcare anymore…answer, grandkids. They will still get used and played with.
Once they were done, I didn’t feel anymore ambitious than I did before so I looked for something else I could do that would allow me to sit and the machine and watch television so I tackled this…
Yep the block of the month is bound…I’ll wait to show it to you until I have both of the quilts done. Oh my, this took a full 10 strips of binding to bind that beast.
After that was done, I decided to make the binding strips for the second block of the month quilt top that isn’t quilted yet. Rosie was napping while I was doing that.
About then Kalissa called and asked if I wanted to hang out. PERFECT timing. I was done with two project for the day and did the binding for a third project. That’s enough for one day..especially when family calls.
I feel like I’m not getting a lot done but the I try to remind myself that I’ve been busy at the long arm and binding as well.
I do feel like the room keeps getting a little lighter and lighter with more open space and less clutter. I like that.
Next up, I’m going to be cutting scraps soon. I’ve gotten lots of questions on how I cut scraps. A week or so I showed a quick couple pictures of what I do and now I’ve gotten a request for a whole blog post about that. What for that coming soon.
…and just in case you missed these two beauties that were finished this week…
I have a few plans for the week but nothing really big so hopefully more progress will be make in the quilting room. I used up one set of totes and had to order another set…they won’t be here until June so I know it will be at least until then before I’m finished.