I told you that I’m waging war on my sewing room. Truly, I am. I’m doing all I can to tackle the projects in my sewing room.
Masks are finished. I cleaned everything up and put the supplies away. If I find there is truly a need, I will make more but for now, I have a stash that I’ll save for a couple weeks and if they don’t get used here by friends and neighbors, I’ll pass them on to the local hospital.
To date my tally stands at 569 masks made. I’m pleased with that number.
While I was endlessly sewing masks I did some math. For my pattern and the way I cut out and make masks, I can make 5 masks from 1 yard of fabric. If I made 569 masks, that’s 113 3/4 yards of fabric that went into masks from my house. A lot of the fabric was donated by many of you who have send fabric my way from time to time. I am so very thankful for you gift of fabric as making that many would have cost around $1200 in fabric just to make. Those are some big numbers.
Well my next task was to get a quilt on the frame. Rosie was very busy trying to help me-not really-she was actually trying to prevent me from getting it on the frame. Oh Rosebud.
Well the more I got looking at this quilt top…the more I got thinking about it. The more I got thinking about it, the more got to thinking it really needed custom quilting to make it shine. The more I got thinking about custom quilting, the less I wanted to tackle it. The less I got wanting to tackle it the more I thought…but it does really need custom quilting. The more I thought about custom quilting the more I thought about my friend Carla the longarmer. The more I thought about Carla longarming it the more I thought, “Hey…maybe I should submit this quilt for publication”.
So while I had the backing on the frame in place and the batting, I didn’t have the top stitched down so I grabbed the top and ran outside with it. The wind has been terrible here lately but I persevered and got a couple pictures.
I sent them off to American Patchwork and Quilting. I wrote up a nice little note with it and told them the story of the quilt. I told them that I would take it to Carla and she would jazz it up with her amazing longarming ability.
Do you remember the story? Let me tell it….Roxanna, a blog reader, sent a bunch up UFOs my way. I passed a few on but kept a few. One UFO that I kept was a stack of half square triangles made with white and Kaffe prints. There was no pattern with them…just a stack of half square triangles. Well I laid them out and played with them and came up with this. I was short blocks so went into my Kaffe prints (many prints that blog readers have sent my way) and cut out more half square triangle blocks.
The inner border came from a blog reader…the outer border, a Kaffe print, I got on a big sale from Quilted Twins….
Doesn’t this quilt have an amazing story??
Well I sent the submission off and 15 minutes later we got an email back asking how soon the quilt could be at American Patchwork and Quilting. They accepted the quilt.
AHHH!! I didn’t expect that to happen. I quickly called Carla. She said, “Well how long do have before it has to be done?” I told her fairly quickly but of course they understand custom quilting does take a bit of time. We got notice back that they want the quilt in the office by May 6th. So…I scrambled and unloaded the quilt from the frame, packaged it up and drove to Carla’s.
…and as you read this, I’m sure Carla is working on it!! I can’t wait to see it.
I do feel a little bit bad as I said the the projects that Roxanna sent would go for charity but after talking to Kelli about it, we’re going to pay our expenses with the money we make from the quilt and will then save enough money out to go out to eat and donate the rest on to charity. How does that sound?? Fair??
Anyway…I got a project close to a finish and not in a way I expected at all. Like I said, what a fun story of a quilt. I bet Roxanna never dreamed that the half square triangles she made at one point would be sewn into a quilt by me and published in a national quilting magazine. Oh my. How fun!!
I ended up getting this stack of quilts bound. I’ll be showing them off to you if it ever stops blowing here. I’ve been trying for a few days to take pictures of them but the wind just won’t let me.
I got our old family dinosaur baby quilt bound too.
This little quilt is WELL aged. in 1988 we moved into a rental property and the previous people who lived in the house left it there and the landlord told us to keep it. The little blanket has gone through my kids and numerous childcare kids. The edges were shot. I couldn’t bare to throw it away so I trimmed off the edges and bound it. The little blanket is going to live on a few more years.
Little by little I’m going to get this room tackled. I brought my pile of orange and blue shirts downstairs to start working on them ah…I’m finally going to cut out that quilt. Hallelujah!!
I’m finding some joy in amongst the cleaning. I hate doing some of these tasks but am so rewarded that they are finished. I’m keeping at it. Eventually I will get this ALL DONE!!