I’ve told you a few time this month that I am trying to tackle my sewing room. It seems a little tedious in the method that I’m using but it’s working for me and that’s all I care about. In the past I’ve opened the UFO cabinet, I’ve said -Yep, those are the UFO’s..and moved on.
This time around I’m going through everything. I am asking, “Are you REALLY ever going to finish this or is this just a dream?”
It doesn’t bother me to part with things as much as it used to. I think there are several reasons why…
1-Money isn’t as tight as it used to be
2-I have a whole network of people who are willing to finish UFO’s and pass them on to charity.
3-I have a STRONG desire to take control of my space.
Over the next while (however long it takes) I’m tackling that UFO cabinet and asking the hard questions and then if I decide to keep it, I’m going to see what the project needs that might move it along or what might make the project more desirable to grab the next time I’m in need of a project.
Today’s project: Tribute to Judie
This is likely one of my oldest UFO’s. I I started it a LONG time ago. Seeing this photo is what enticed me to want to make it.
Oh I loved it and the happy news is that I still love it. I knew immediately that this is a project I want to keep and find room for.
I looked and figured out that I started this back in February of 2010. Oh my. It’s almost nine years old.
So where am I at and what can I do to get me willing to grab this project?
Well…the project at some point and time must have gotten tipped over because pieces are everywhere and not matched. I know if it’s like this, I won’t grab it.
So after a little sorting… I found out I have 24 finished and need 180 if I make at at the suggested size which is only a throw.
At this point, I’m okay if I only make it throw sized.
I think this stalled out for me because making those tiny stars was a little more than my quilting abilities at the time could handle. I remember being so stressed to make them. Now days, my piecing abilities have improved and I’m not worried about making them at all.
So I matched up everything using these cute little clips a blog reader sent me. The ones in the photo below didn’t have all the pieces I needed to complete the blocks so I found some background scraps and cut enough to work with these.
I didn’t cut the entire quilt out but I did cut out about 50 blocks.
That’s enough for now…let’s see if I actually tackle them or if I let them sit for another nine years. At least now, if the mood strikes I can grab this and get sewing on the blocks.
This took me one nap time or about 45 minutes to organize. I feel so much better about it. I don’t feel the terrible UFO guilt about it. I feel like this is a project that is there. It’s a project I hope to get to and it has earned a spot so it can be in my UFO cabinet.
Ah…one down. About 12 or so more UFO’s to go. (that’s not counting the completed quilt tops) More on them another day.
Feel free to join in with me and make some sense out of your UFO storage area too.