Saturday the neighbor stopped by and said, “Is your beagle home?” we said-“She’s not in the house but she’s around the yard somewhere”. WRONG. Ruby was up to his house!!!! UGH. If we were living in town that wouldn’t be good but not nearly as bad as this…the neighbor lives a mile away!!
Well off we went to find her. With the help of the neighbor we looked and search and circled and hunted. We couldn’t find her so we went home. Guess who was sitting on the steps waiting for us…Ruby. I was glad she was there but in the last 6 months she has taken off three times. The other two times involved visiting dogs but this time there was no denying it. Ruby did it all on her own and it was time for us to do something about it before she got hurt.
That lead me to searching for invisible fencing and before I went to bed that night I had ordered PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, PIF-300 I also bought an PetSafe Extra Collar for Wireless Containment for when Puppycat comes.
I had done a little shopping and comparing before and had almost bought one of these when she gallivanted off last time. After some discussion with Hubby and reading the reviews to him, we both thought this one might be best.
It sounded pretty neat. Supposedly we plug in the unit and dog can’t go past the radius we set. This model will go up to 90 feet in radius meaning ninety feet in any direction of the unit. The things I liked about it included that we can easily move it from house to house. We don’t bury and wires. If we went to visit family in Minnesota we could take this with and it would work there as long as we had the collar with too. We could purchase extra collars for extra dogs. Once we move to town the unit can go with us and all the extra work it takes is to reset flags up again so she can initially see the boundaries. By then she’ll be used to the beep before the correction and doubt we’ll even need to do that. The problem…the expense…
Well the UPS man delivered it Tuesday afternoon and being Kalissa was home I
made asked her to help me. She did but we really weren’t happy with the results. It seemed a little inconsistent. Then Craig got off work and came over. He offered to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS (we had only kind of read them) and FOLLOW the directions (we had only sorta followed them). Well after that it has worked.
We practiced a couple times with Ruby and I can say so far, (now that we read the directions) it works really well.
Ruby did end up getting a correction yesterday as while we were practicing a cat ran across the yard and she tried to chase it..but other than that, it was pretty event free. Ruby is a little mopey. She’s not quite her cheerful self when we are outside either but I think this will all get a little better as time goes on.
I do have to say that since she ran I have been a much more attentive pet owner. We’ve been walking more. I’ve been playing fetch more. I love Ruby lots but I had let that lapse a bit. I’ve been on track since Sunday though….and I can see that Ruby is appreciating my efforts.
I’ll do an update on the wireless fencing unit next week and let you know how things are going.