I knew Kayla was coming…I knew Karl would be here. I thought the dresser that is destined to be my ironing station would go up the stairs so I quickly painted it and tried to have it ready so when the stars aligned, the kids would help me get it upstairs.
If you remember, it looked like this…
…and my illustration for it was this…
Here it is painted with no top yet.
Thankfully with a little pushing, prodding, and heavy lifting, it went up the stairs.
This is my previous ironing station…
Karl and I cut a piece of plywood so it was 2 1/2″ bigger on three of the sides. We cut an angle on the two corners that will go to the front. It’s so easy to “catch” yourself on a corner, I hoped this might help.
I layered ironing board fabric, batting, and the board as shown in the picture below.
I cut the batting the exact size of the wood top piece.
I cut the ironing board fabric a few inches wider, and I stapled it in place with the staple gun.
Next, I wanted to give it a “pretty” top…I originally bought the checked fabric for the top but at the last minute changed my mind and used the red instead.
I have a lot of Civil War wall hanging in my quilting room and I thought the red floral would go better with them than the red check.
Here it is all done. I’m thrilled. I can iron on the entire surface is I have something really long. I can slide it out if I want to iron a quilt top, but as I told in Monday’s post, I always iron them downstairs anyway so I doubt I’ll ever iron a big quilt top here, but the point is, I can. I have my larger Nido Wool Pressing Mat on one end (Find them HERE on Amazon). I’ll use that for pressing most things as that’s my very favorite pressing method.
I used Command Strips (Here on Amazon) to hang the power strip. I’m so happy that they worked well for this.
I have some brackets that I’ll have Buck use to secure it in place when he comes…I could do it, but he can do it much quicker.
The ironing station is just what I envisioned. It is PERFECT for me! I can’t believe all the storage space I will have underneath it! I have some organizing and sorting to do yet, but WOW! I’m one step closer to having a sewing room I’m going to LOVE.
Some other updates…
I painted the piano bench that the plant stand goes on.
This little beat up hamper will probably get painted next. I’m debating…red or gray. Probably gray will win.
In the meantime…This is the chaos my sewing room currently is in. OH MY WORD. I keep telling myself, one step at a time…one step at a time.
I’m going to LOVE this!! I just know I am.