I’m supposed to have a community quilt post from Ray but I am moving that to tomorrow evening so I can share the latest Kramer family news:

You know the old saying, TGIF, Thank God it’s Friday.  Well…I’m changing that up to TGInotThursdadyorF as in Thank God it’s NOT Thursday or Friday.  I’ve had kind of a crappy end of the week.

The last two days were a mess.  I was very ready for the sun to set and welcome a weekend.

Here’s how things started…Kayla called me on Thursday at 6:50 am.  Typically she doesn’t call that early so I figured something was up.  It was.  She had been driving Jasper to childcare listening to him cough and decided she was turning around and going home.

Kayla explained that a little girl at childcare got RSV and was worried Jasper had caught it.  If you all remember, Jasper ends up in trouble if he gets a cold as it often turns into pneumonia.

A side note for those who aren’t familiar with RSV:
Virtually all children get an RSV infection by the time they are 2 years old. Most of the time RSV will cause a mild, cold-like illness, but it can also cause severe illness such as

  • Bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small airways in the lung)
  • Pneumonia (infection of the lungs)

One to two out of every 100 children younger than 6 months of age with RSV infection may need to be hospitalized. Those who are hospitalized may require oxygen, intubation, and/or mechanical ventilation (help with breathing). Most improve with this type of supportive care and are discharged in a few days.”

I could hear Jasper coughing in the background and I told her I thought she did the right thing.  I suggested getting an afternoon appointment to take him in case he spiked a temp.

A couple of hours later, sure enough, Jasper spiked a temp.  Kayla had called for an appointment and that afternoon they went in.  It turns out that Jasper had an ear infection.  Kayla told the doctor a girl at childcare had RSV.  The doctor seemed to not think that was a big deal.  Then Kayla pushed a little and asked for the test.  She wanted to make sure it would be okay for Jasper to go to childcare and didn’t want to risk exposing others to RSV, if Jasper had it, as kids who have it are supposed to stay away from other kids for five days.

They ended up taking the test.  They said the results would be back that evening.  In the meantime, Kayla’s cold had kicked in and was glad that she’d likely be staying home from work the next day with Jasper so she could rest too.

About 7 pm Thursday night they called.  Jasper did have RSV AND has COVID.  WHAT??  Jasper had covid.  Kayla didn’t even suspect that nor did the doctor.  The doctor didn’t even plan on testing Jasper for RSV.  They only tested because Kayla requested it.

UGH.  Well, that left Kayla and Spencer doing their own contact tracing.  Japser had been with Grandpa Jerry in the combine.  Jasper had been at childcare.  Kayla had been teaching at school.  So many calls to make and now Kayla had lesson plans to write…plus, Kayla was now worried she too had covid.

Friday Kayla was tested and she had covid.  Spencer so far has no sickness at all.

I was happy to get a video from Kayla on Friday morning of Jasper.

That’s enough to make me feel a little better about him.  On Thursday he had just laid on Kayla all day.

Now to more of the Kramer family medical journey…

On Kalissa’s drive to work on Thursday night we decided it was time to get to the bottom of whatever was going on with my doctor.  I wrote THIS blog post explaining everything that had went on since my appointment on September 23rd.  Please go back and read that for a refresher or if you are new to this story.

So from where that story left off.  I never heard back from the person that last called me and asked if I had contacted my insurance to get the PET scan approved and there were no doctor’s order for one.  That phone call happened on September 29th.

By Friday the 1st, I stitll hadn’t heard from anyone so I sent a message on the online portal.  I explained that I had done everything I could on my part and that I was told by everyone I contacted that there was no order from the doctor.  I wrote that in the afternoon at naptime.  I heard nothing that day….nothing on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

On the portal system it says that people that are messaged will get back to you in 2-4 business days.  Well, Thursday at closing made four business days and I had heard nothing.

Remember this PET scan was supposed to happen ASAP.  UGH.  This is not my idea of ASAP…but what’s girl to do when you’re at the mercy of others.

Kalissa ended up calling in on Friday on her way home from work.  She talked to someone who actually listened.  The person made her very hopeful that something was actually going to happen.  She assured Kalissa that she would follow up with this and would get to the bottom of it all.  She was starting with paging my doctor.


Never underestimate the power of an awesome secretary.  Since this whole runaround started she has been the only one who actually did something that was helpful.

Kalissa volunteered to do the calling for me and I’m so grateful.  It’s super hard for me to do it during childcare hours.  The kids are so unpredictable.  If you have kids, you know how terrible kids can be the minute they know you’re on the phone.

Kalissa relayed to me what the secretary said and then her and I over the phone made a list of questions to ask my doctor if she did call.  Then she laid down to sleep.  She had just worked an overnight shift.

About a half an hour later I was in the middle of changing a diaper and the phone rang.  I was sure it was my doctor.  I ran for the phone with the diapered baby in tow but no pants on the baby.

It turns out is was Kalissa.  My doctor had called her.  I ended up finishing putting the baby’s pants on as we talked.  Kalissa said I might want a pen to write what she was saying down so I herded Gannon, who had followed me into the bathroom out.  I found a pen and pencil to write what Kalissa was saying.

About then I heard scratching on the bathroom door.  I had locked Rosie in the bathroom and paused long enough to get her out.

Kalissa continued to tell me the saga and about then Gannon pushed a chair up to the cupbaord, grabbed a box of Nilla Wafers and dumped them out all over the floor.

Then, after I got off the phone, Gannon ran to the bathroom to go potty, slipped and fell. Apparently Rosie had peed on the bathroom floor in her distress of being locked in the bathroom. As I was finishing cleaning that up, Gannon went potty in the little kids potty chair.  He grabbed the potty chair insert to dump it in the big toilet, and Gannon spilled his potty all over the bathroom floor that I had just cleaned.

This is exactly why it’s so hard for me to make any phone call during childcare.

So are you wondering what the doctor said???  To be honest, in the middle of all of that I could barely remember what Kalissa and I were talking about.  Here is the note she wrote in our family messenger group.

Bottom line – Mom does need a pet scan – her number went up a little more than she would like – they want to rule out a bone lesion – if insurance doesn’t cover the PET scan then she will get a head neck and pelvis CT scan which will also check for bone lesions just as good. Dr Ryder is even more suspicious that we will find something but she says that would be good because we know what we are dealing with and can treat it.  So imaging in the next few weeks and then appointment with doctor after imaging.”

I messaged my doctor back and forth a few times.  I wanted to clear the air on my end of it all. I know mistakes happen and I am sure she knew nothing of the run around that was happening.

I was a person who fell through the cracks.  As frustrated as my family is with the whole incident, I am glad if it was going to happen to someone, it happened to me.  I am pro-active when it comes to following up and making sure my medical needs are addressed.  I know others might have let it all slip and not do anything until a follow up visit.

So how do I feel about it all??
Okay.  I’ve known this is a possible road I could go down.  After all, my cancer, if it spreads, typically goes to bones or lungs.  I certainly wish we weren’t concerned about possible spread to my bones but as my doctor said, if it has, we can finally found it and hopefully can treat it.

I’ll keep you posted on Jasper and Kayla…and me.  Eli, our daughter Kelli’s little guy, is doing much better.  Still some coughing but all in all, good.

Update:  When I got my mail over the weekend, there was a letter from insurance.  My PET scan is approved.  Now I’ll watch the patient portal to see when it is scheduled.

26 thoughts on “TGInotThursdayorF”

  1. I am so sorry this is happening to you. Healthcare SHOULD NOT be this hard. Keeping you and your family in prayer.
    Love and prayers

  2. Oh, Jo. This is exactly what I was praying would not happen. Please keep us updated regarding your progress. And I will continue praying.

  3. Oh my – when it rains it pours!! So glad to hear that the issue of the PET scan will be resolved and in the meantime will pray that all is well – good results. What fun you can have as a childcare provider!! haha. Like you said, so hard to do phone calls with the kiddos under foot. So thankful you have Kalissa helping you. Your family – all of them — will be in my prayers.

  4. so thankful that finally you know more about what is supposed to happen, clearing air some, but I am sure not enough for you and your kids. Very thankful I haven’t run into any “snafus” like that. I am NOT good at all when it comes to using phone. Can’t hear worth a hoot -and hate phone calls. So sorry that Jasper and Kayla have Covid. I had no clue what RSV is– what a worry. I know only too well, that some days it just seems like every little ant hill turns into a mountain to get over. Hopefully Spenser doesn’t get it. OR anybody else that he was around–but then there’s the question about where did Jasper get exposed?
    No wonder it was a TGIN Thursday OR Friday. Hope there’s been a little respite on the weekend. Prayers for all. Anne

  5. Yes I had three little ones between 20 months and two yrs. They were not easy to deal with concerning phone calls.I’m glad that finally there’s some positive action for your health procedure. And that the dr can help you get through this. I pray your little ones get better very quickly and that better moments come your way.

  6. Wow, that is a lot going on Jo. I am happy your medical tests are going to happen now. It would be a bit of relief, just to find out what is happing with your cancer. Wishing a quick recovery for Jasper and Kayla.

  7. What a week you’re having! Thank you for keeping your blog family in the loop. So many positive COVID tests for so many people with no symptoms. Hope this means we’re all becoming resistant or immune. Glad your grands are doing so much better.

  8. Some days just happen, and you put one foot in front of the other and keep going on. Prayers are sent your way for you and your family. Someone told me a long time ago to ‘expect nothing, but hope for everything’ and I think in your health situation, this is good. Hang in there, things will be OK.

  9. Oh. My. Goodness, JO!! That was QUITE a couple of days. Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Here’s hoping Kayla and Jasper continue to do well and Eli gets better soon, too. I am amazed at how you seem to take it all with a grain of salt. Best of luck with the soon-to-be-scheduled PET scan!

  10. I’m sorry this is happening to you and what a mess. Very glad that your family is there to help navigate all the medical crap, Yikes!! What a crazy week you have had.

  11. What a week is right! I am glad you are finally on track with the appointments with the scan and Dr.
    I remember what a chore phone calls were when my tribe were all little, but I have to admit I did laugh out loud at the story !! I think we all need a little comic relief when things get hard.
    Best of luck Jo.

  12. Tough week, but with some good luck, things will settle down & you’ll be taken care of asap.. Best wishes to all of you.

  13. Jo, so glad you finally got some answers. I know this had to be very frustrating to you and your family. Praying that you have a good outcome. Yes, please keep us posted re:your family’s health. We all feel like y’all are good friends of ours.

  14. Praying for you & each member of your family. Each of you are so strong! You & your family are amazing folks. It’s so awesome how your entire family sticks together. Take care.

  15. Soapstone quilts

    Hugs, hugs, and more hugs. I hope your weekend was quiet and that you got to do whatever you wanted or needed to get done. Thankful that insurance approved the PET scan.

  16. Kristy Wilkinson

    Jo- I would echo that I am praying for all of you. I hope Kayla’s family improves quickly and that your scans will clear up the high numbers you got from you last tests. I am glad you updated us on things. We all care about you and hope you will have a better week this week. K-

  17. Thank goodness you’re finally getting the PET scan. I hope you had a more peaceful weekend and I hope Kayla and Jasper are recovering xx

  18. Wow what a week you had Jo. Think about you all the time I’m in healthcare and I’m so disappointed in the way you’ve been treated praying for you

  19. I can’t believe you remembered all of that to write it down. I would have wanted to forget it all. The bright side is that Gannon peed in the potty and tried to empty it himself! Yay Gannon.

  20. Wow. Dealing with doctors, unknowns, and insurance is stressful in the best of times, but to have things fall through cracks like that… I’ll just say you and Kalissa handled it much better than I would have. And yay for the person at the doctor’s office who didn’t let it happen again.

  21. I’m so glad the ball finally started rolling. Medical can be so frustrating and you are smart to be proactive. We have to be our own advocate. I’ll be that secretary will not let this happen again. How wonderful you have family close by to love you and assist you. My prayers for your family to recover quickly from their covid. That stuff sure sneaks around doesn’t it. More prayers for you to find out what is going on so you can make a recovery plan. Take care.

  22. I had an equally unsatisfying experience with “portal messages” not being returned in a timely fashion by one of my physicians (in Ohio, not the Mayo Clinic). One of my sons used to have an expression, “Good idea. Badly executed.” That pretty much summed it up! If it had worked, that would have been easier, but instead I worried for days not hearing anything. I decided not to ever rely on that communication option going forward. As your case illustrates, I am convinced quicker and more satisfying results come from persisting in communicating directly with a staff member.

  23. Keeping your calm in all this is amazing. I think it is becoming more and more important to actively participate in your health care now a days. Prayer for you and your family

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top