I didn’t get much done this week….
Life took over and that was more important. I have a new family that started childcare. They have a three year old girl and a year old boy. Between that and the other events, a no school day, a late start day and a kindergarten round up day, I did’t get any extra time to do anything during the day…and my evenings got a little busy too.
That’s okay..there is nothing looming on the time clock (at least not pressing) so it’s all good. I have a gal, Marlene, that volunteered to do some long arm volunteer work for the charity quilt project. I had sent her out a few quilts to do and they are back…(watch for that coming up) and was interested in doing more so I went through the stacks, found more tops, bindings and backings then boxed them up so they are ready for the post office. This takes a lot longer than one would think. I sent five this time! I hope she doesn’t mind. It sure makes me feel good to have them going some where. My stack of quilts to be done is still higher than I’d like to be especially with my shoulder acting up…I’m hoping little by little, I’ll get to them.
I started my Block of the Month Challenge blocks. This month I have to make eight blocks that are entirely half square triangles. It’s not hard sewing….
I started in on my grand daughter Lucy’s quilt. I should have had it done by now, but alas…I don’t. I’ve tried a couple things that I didn’t love so I’m trying again. I have my scraps from Cheryl that I cut…I love them but now am looking for a gray. I keep striking out on the gray side of things. I got this polka dot…don’t love it….too light. I love the gray on the left but it’s a vintage fabric and only 36″ wide and just barely maybe enough of it. I ended up finding something that is REALLY close so I’m back with some momentum for the project again.
I don’t think I showed you the quilt that is inspiring me. Here it is….
I’ve looked and looked on line for more about this quilt but I can’t find it. I can see the watermark on the photo says “Oh Sew Stephanie”. I’ve looked and can’t find anything more about it at all. Bummer! I’ve tried some variations on the name spelling hoping that might help but alas…no luck. I’d love to credit the person that made it but I don’t know how.
After looking at the quilt I can see that it is a disappearing nine patch. The area where the name goes is a bigger piece cut that would be the same size of the blocks so I’m winging it with no pattern. I did decided that I want it petite so the square size I am working with is 3 1/2″. I have 25 blocks sewn the first time but that’s all I have done at this point. It would be easy relaxing sewing if I wasn’t afraid of running out of fabric!!
Onto the string challenge:
For those of you following along you know that I’m trying to make ALL of the quilts in Bonnie Hunter’s book String Fling. I need to quilt Pineapple Crazy and then I have two more left.
I’ve been mostly working on Daylilies. I have nine blocks finished….I’ve been trying to do one a day so by next week, they should be finished.
I’m starting to actually like making these blocks. Being they are a bit more challenging I feel a bit more accomplished with each one is done….I love when a fear (like mine of inset seams) turns into a feeling of accomplishment.
You can find me back here next week. I don’t know how much I’ll have accomplished. A cleaning and reorganizing bug has hit me hard…that hits so rarely so if it’s here, I’m going with it!!