Over the last two weeks I’ve been finishing up quilt tops….I love getting the tops finished. The thing I haven’t followed through with is cleaning the up the quilt top leftovers.
My sewing room for the most part, needed more of the surface tops and floor cleaning. Deep, it’s still all good.
I’ve been so frustrated with the mess and finally last week I said enough was enough…I started working on the mess.
In the middle of the mess I got an idea. I have a table that I’ve kept two sewing machines on..it’s small and regular table height. I’ve started having some problems with my shoulder while sewing. I can feel that bad shoulder getting fatigued if I sit for very long.
The fatigue is happening more often and more quickly. It’s made me a little sad. I would be crazy if I can’t sew like I have, so I put my thinking cap on. I’m not letting this shoulder beat me.
This is what I came up with. I sew with my white machine most of the time. I ended up putting it on a small pop up table that’s really sturdy. I pulled the sewing chair over which is slightly higher than a regular chair. This is how it looks now….
It’s not pretty but it’s VERY functional and most importantly, my shoulder hasn’t been hurting when I sew. You can see that the bed of my sewing machine is not the height of a regular table. It’s like sewing at a cabinet that a machine drops into. I really like it and am so happy that this is working. It’s not a pretty affair with matching cabinets and the like but I am VERY happy with it…most important…that shoulder is happy. If you have an arm or shoulder issue, I HIGHLY recommend finding a way to bring down the height of the table you are sewing at….worst case scenario, get a wooden table to sew on and cut the legs to a smaller height.
The cleaning and reorganizing took a lot of time so not as much sewing got done….More of these were finished though. They are like potato chips to me. I can’t do only one!!
For the tutorial on these blocks follow this link.
I pulled out my next String Challenge project….Daylilies. For those wondering this is a Bonnie Hunter pattern from her book String Fling.
I’ve got everything in place and started on them. They have inset seams so it’s slower going.
I need all the help I can to manage those inset seams.
I am typically not big on ironing but for these, ironing is my friend. If there is some interest I’ll do a little tutorial on how I’m managing these. Pressing as well as starting and stopping at the correct places makes all the difference in success. It’s really not hard. I simply have to slow down and think more than I usually do.
I have to admit to really liking the challenge in working outside of my box on this project.
Find me back here next week. I’m hoping to have more of these blocks finished.