Whoot! Whoot!! Spooling Around is finished. I am so happy to have this one off the list. I’ve been sewing on it for a LONG time. The spool block was a challenge block for Bonnie Hunter years ago…like in 2012. I didn’t jump on the band wagon until 2013. At the beginning I didn’t cave but once I saw the blocks put together I wanted in and I jumped in hard. I worked and worked on the blocks until I have over 350 or so done then I quit.
Bonnie had announced that she had taken her blocks and designed a quilt with them that would be featured in her More Adventures with Leaders and Enders book. I decided to wait and see what her design was. I thought surely 350 blocks would be somewhere close to what I needed.
The book came out and it was WRONG!! I needed over 600 of the blocks. Since the book came out I’ve been working on the quilt little by little. I never really sat down and sewed on it until I have all the blocks together. Then in the move the quilt got set aside. Now it’s FINISHED!!
I really like it. I seldom use pink as one of the feature fabrics and rarely use green so this was new to me and I like it!
I was showing it off to Hubby and told him how this one is really marks the fabric that I had in my collection from 2013-2014. It’s almost a piece of current history being it’s so scrappy and has pieces of it all.
My version is primarily made of Civil War prints with a few odd pieces in here and there. This is one that I’ll keep and will be going in the north spare bedroom.
I really debated and debated about how to quilt this. I didn’t want anything fancy. I’ve learned that quilts that are already busy just don’t need custom quilting because it just gets lost. I used a brownish tan for the top thread and a gold for the backing.
I have to thank a blog reader for sending the half square triangles that I used on the back. They came in a box of leftovers from someone. I had known my backing needed a little “boost” to help it be a little wider and these were just what I needed. THANKS a million!!
I also used some Dream batting that Ila had sent me some time back. I’ve been specifically saving it for this quilt as it’s more light weight and this is going to be the summer bed quilt. THANKS Ila. It worked wonderfully.
Baptist Fans ended up being the design of choice. You can see them in the pictures. They have gotten to be a real favorite with me…they really never seem to be a wrong choice.
Well that ones off my list. Now my Garden Party and a couple mystery projects will be eating my time.