About a month or so ago my neighbor contacted me and asked if I was interested in a box of scraps she had. Her mom had passed away and they were cleaning out the house. I said sure. If I didn’t use them I knew I could find a place for them to go.
I ended up digging through the box and found this…
I almost put it in the charity quilt box but then I thought nope. I think I’m going to fix it up and give it back to my neighbor. I know it’s rough and not the best looking but if this would have been my mom’s I think I would have wanted to keep it.
trimmed off those ugly sides and cut it down a little bit as it was not proportionate.
As I was working with it I realized that there were a couple of holes. I took those blocks out and replace them with blocks cut from the pink and blue fabric I had cut off the sides.
The more I worked on it the more it grew on me. It was made from old aprons. The black you see on the gingham fabric is chicken scratch stitching.
Here it is on the long arm…
The sewing was pretty wonky. I started to wonder if this was a quilt one of the girls in the family was making as a kid as it was so wonky.
I used the pink from the side to bind it.
Here it is all finished…
I love how the chicken scratch heart ended up in the middle of the quilt!!
It’s not a great work of art but I love its sentimental value. I delivered it to my neighbor last weekend. She seemed happy to have it. I told her if nothing else, to give it to her first great-grandchild as a gift from her mom.
For the backing, I had a piece of pink gingham that I thought would work well. For the binding, there was enough left for the pieces I cut off the sides. All in all…I ended up liking the quirky little quilt.
I was happy to be able to finish it and give it back to the family…it was a simple little project!!