Check out my finished quilt…Yes…it looks like this morning’s quilt but it’s not. This is the leftovers quilt so the colors and pattern are similar. I actually like this less organized version much better.
This morning I told you about one of the quilts I worked on last week. It was a garage sale UFO that I bought for $10. Tonight I’m telling you about the leftovers from that project that were bagged up and sold for $8. It’s the package to the far right.
When I bought the package I really wasn’t sure what was in it. I really didn’t know that this was the leftovers from the blocks in the package on the left. All I knew was that it was fabric and the colors were okay and it was a great start for a quilt at only $8.
Here are the pieces.
This morning’s quilt were blocks…
These were the what was left over after the blocks were cut…The original owner told me she made graduation quilts and this was her go to pattern. I later found out it is an Atkinson Designs pattern. I don’t remember which one. This morning’s quilt was in a 5 x 6 layout. I wanted to make this one bigger in a 6 x 6 layout. So this was my plan….
Trim the sewn together strips.
Add random pieces of fabric to the blocks to bring them up to the 15″ x 15″ size.
Trim if needed to a 15″ x 15″ block.
…and that’s what I did. You can see that the block above has two leftover strips sewn together and then a yellow random piece sewn to it.
Most blocks have two of the original leftover pieces in them but not all…some just have one piece. This is what the flimsy looked like.
I trimmed the blocks on Wednesday afternoon when my power was out. I sewed the random pieces to them on Wednesday night after the power was on. Thursday morning I trimmed the blocks and sewed them into a top. At noon on Thursday I ironed the completed quilt top. That afternoon I loaded it onto the frame and quilted it.
That evening I bound it and had a finished quilt. In reality it was about 24 hours from start to finish…including a good night’s sleep.
When it was a flimsy, I wasn’t really impressed with it. After quilting it…I really liked it!! Take a look at the next pictures and let me know what you think….I’m really on a “using it up theme”….
Check out the scrappy binding. I’ve told you lots of times that I have very little yardage…mostly fat quarter and quarter yard cuts. So, when it came time to bind this I didn’t even look to see if I had something that would work. I decided scrappy binding. I use 2″ strips to bind so I went straight to the 2” bucket and pulled coordinating prints.
Here’s more scrappy binding….
This is what I did for a quilting edge to edge design. It’s one of my favorites.
I think it’s nice to use a nice edge to edge quilting design on a quilt like this and do it a little more densely to “dress it up” a bit.
The quilt isn’t my typical “Jo” pattern but boy did I have fun putting it together. The quick gratification was awesome. I ended up falling in love with it.
Here is a closer picture to help you pick out the block. In the corner at the bottom the block has two leftover strips. I attached the orange floral to it.
In the block at the top of the photo, there are two leftover strips with a random piece of my fabric between them.
Here is the backing. It was a piece from Whittle’s Fabrics. I often go there and check out the fabric that is $3.95 a yard. This is one of those pieces.
I think it’s perfect for the quilt….A little wild but perfect for this quilt. Whittles still has this backing fabric available, you can find it HERE. Still only $3.95 a yard!!
And no quilt is complete without a Rosie picture….
I’m so happy with this quilt. I plan on gifting it to a 2020 graduate. I’m thrilled that these projects that were in the tote and in my possession since 2016 are finally finished!! It feels so good to have a completed quilt to gift, AND the extra room on my shelves.