I’ve had my Frolic mystery quilt done for a bit now. It’s been so incredibly windy here that I’ve struggled to get pictures taken….that and I’ve gotten so many other quilts finished that this has lingered at the bottom of the pile.
One of my quilting goals for the year was to not let this quilt sit and fall into the UFO pile. I think I did okay with that. I actually did the long arming in March-ish I think.
Once the mystery was revealed I immediately had a regret….
It was my choice of the dark green color.
When the dark green is by the dark blue, it kind of melds together. I think that’s partially because I chose batiks to work with. They are more blended by nature anyway.
Here’s a closer picture so you can see what I mean….
Another thing that happens when working with batiks is the pink parts of the star in the above photo. Notice that the pink turned to a purple. I don’t mind…just pointing it out so you can remember that if you are working with batiks. I know some people would be bothered by it.
All in all, I like the quilt and am happy that I joined in on the mystery. From time and time again I have drug my feet thinking I wasn’t going to do it …but alas. I always end up making one.
I do admit to not enjoying this one as much as usual. I am very visual in what I do. Reading through long instructions is the death of me. This one had lots of directions that had to really be read through…using clips and saving things for later just isn’t my thing.
I guess I could more easily explain myself like this. I’ve sewn enough that when I make a Bonnie quilt from a book, I often read through the whole pattern once and then after that just use the directions at a glance.
What can I say?? I’m a lazy reader.
If things come with directions I am terrible and rarely read them. Like I said, reading through lengthy directions is the death of me.
I bound my quilt in a medium blue.
I didn’t go with the dark or the light…this was a dull in between color.
The design of the quilt was awesome and I loved seeing it come together at the reveal.
My binding…a batik I had in the backing stack. It isn’t my favorite. I had bought it for a different quilt and ended up not using it as I didn’t like the pinks and blues of the batik gave way to orange. But…I’ve been wanting to use up what I have and decided although it wasn’t perfect, or what I’d pick if I could pick anything, it wasn’t embarassing or terrible. So I went with it.
So that’s another mystery quilt in the books. I’ve been doing the mystery since, Carolina Christmas…that means I’ve done the last 10. I think I’ll write up a blog post about all of my mystery quilts. That might be fun to revisit.
With that…Frolic, the 2019 mystery quilt is a wrap.
I showed off two other finished quilts yesterday. If you missed them, scroll back for a peek at them.