This is actually a Kelli and Jo quilt finish.
When Kelli was on maternity leave I went to her house and helped her get some things organized. We went through the entire upstairs and in the doing, I found she had a finished quilt top. She had made Bonnie Hunter’s quilt Carolina Chain. It was one of the last tops Kelli made since becoming a mom. Now she rarely sews. There is just no time with three kids two and under. I wanted to help her get this to completion so I asked if she wanted me to take it home and finish it up for her. She said yes.
After some measuring and consideration, I asked her if she wanted it finished as is or if she thought a border on the quilt would be a good idea. The original quilt as seen below does not have a border.
The quilt can be found in the book Addicted to Scraps. (The book is currently at a discounted price on Amazon.)
Kelli said to add a border. So I went through my fabric and I had no yardage that was the color we needed. I had light blues and dark blues but nothing that was this color of blue.
I went to the quilt shop and they had only one blue that was this color so I took it and got enough yardage for both the border and the binding.
It was really sunny when I took these pictures and the lighting washed the quilt out a bit.
This picture is the true color…It’s all Civil War prints. Kelli and I still like those best. We have homes that are country style and have antiques or primitives so the dark colors are more of what we are drawn too. Sure we like and appreciate other colors but if we are going to keep a quilt for ourselves, the Civil War prints are more our speed.
This quilt has been on my list of quilts to make. I don’t know if it still is or if I’m counting my participation in putting borders on, machine quilting, and binding it is enough for me to feel like I’ve made it. Of course, I didn’t do the hard part and it’s going back to live at Kelli’s house but that much might be enough for me to check it off my own list.
I think it turner out pretty well. It’s a great scrap buster quilt!!
As I said, I used the same border fabric for the binding too. All was done by machine.
For the quilt motif I used my Hook and Bump.
Here is the video I did that shows how I do that.
I didn’t have a thread for the top that I loved so I went with a light brown. On that back, I had a seafoam green that ended up looking like the blue once it was stitched.
The backing fabric is something that was here. I think I got it at an auction I went to that had fabric. There was plenty to do this quilt along with more leftover.
So…there you have it. Another quilt is finished and out of the sewing room. I’m so glad I made good use of my time when I was on quarantine due to a Covid exposure.
Through that, I got the two baby quilts and three big quilts machine quilted and out of the sewing room. YAHOO!! I’m so glad to be sending this home with Kelli.