I’ll do my cross-stitch post this evening if you are looking for that. Then on Saturday, there will be an auction here on the blog. If you’ve been waiting for the community quilt fund auction, you only have to wait one more day. I have quilt kits, vintage tops, jelly rolls, vintage blocks, and pretty vintage feed sacks…oh, and Prairie Schooler Santa Cross Stitch charts too. You’ll want to see it.
Now to today’s post a quilt finish:
I’m a firm believer that quilts, to be a great quilt, need to have at least one of two things going for them…
In rare cases, the two combine and that is truly an amazing quilt.
Today’s quilt finish is focusing on the color aspect as there’s not a lot to the design…in fact, it’s the easiest design ever. A simple charm square design.
This quilt started after Donna sent me some charm squares that were all batiks. I thought I would use them as a leader and ender project and sew a simple charm square quilt for charity.
I wanted to make a bigger quilt so I dug into my own batiks and started looking for any fabrics that were smaller than a fat quarter and any fabrics that weren’t my favorite. A quilt like this is a great place to hide some undesirable fabric…
It wasn’t that there was anything “wrong” with the fabrics. Many were hard to use and they didn’t “read” one color. Check out the fabric in the picture above, lower right corner. Using that is so hard. I can’t use it for a yellow…can’t use it as a pink or orange. This quilt was the perfect place to use this up at.
This quilt is loaded with fabrics like that.
My original intention was to just pass it along to any charity. Kalissa saw it and said no, I need to give it to a benefit. She thought that even though the design is simple, it would be a quilt that would bring in money. Hmm. I don’t know, what do you think?
I used a variegated rainbow thread that leans towards more blues to purples but still has pinks and yellows.
I do love the look of the quilt and the colors really do work well together.
I always wonder when people give something away and I end up finishing or using the donation and make a finished quilt if the people regret that they sent the donation to me.
I promise. I’ll find a good cause for it.
I used an orange batik with splotches for the binding. I thought anything would go. This was a piece that a blog reader sent that might have been a backing fabric as the piece was extra wide.
The backing was this batik. It was something that was okay…not perfect but okay. I wanted to use it up. I bought it from Quilted Twins some time ago. When I saw the picture I imagined it pinker but it was more burgundy. I didn’t use it for the original reason I bought it but, it’s used up now.
It is in a 19 x 19 setting making the quilt 86″ x 86″.
I used what I call my hook and point motif.
I am very happy with it and am so glad that I made it. I’ve said it before and will say it again, simple charm quilts are underrated.
Many thanks to Donna who sent squares, blog readers who sent batik fabrics, and to the person that sent the orange for the binding. I had so much fun making this and can’t wait to pass it on for a good cause.