I am still working my way through the leftovers that were mine and those that were sent my way. This quilt was inspired by the person who had red scraps in their donation. Thanks for sending them. I so appreciate it.
The quilt is smaller than most of the quilts I make. It’s 71 ½” x 78 ½”. I let the amount of pieces I had decided the size of the quilt…
Here is a closer picture…
There are lots of batiks in this quilt but lots of other prints too. In a previous time in my life, I wouldn’t have mixed the fabrics. Now I do. I don’t store batik scraps with other prints because I still want the option to make a batik only quilt without having to dig through the whole box.
Although the quilt might look like it’s made of green blocks and blue blocks, it’s not….and they are not set onpoint.
I had written in an earlier blog post that I had originally planned to put full cut triangles on the border edge but then went back and decided to piece those blue triangles you see on the edge of the quilt.
It’s been windy in Iowa. I’ve had trouble with the last few quilts I’ve tried to photograph. This on wasn’t quite as bad as some of the others.
I didn’t name this quilt. Part of me wants to call it Lilly Pads. I know it’s a very unglamorous name but the green and blue kid of reminds me of Lilly Pads in the water.
I am terrible at naming quilts. Do any of you have a better suggestion?
Check out the picture of our lawns…this is Iowa in March.
For the backing I had a piece of thrift store fabric. It wasn’t big enough. I had three extra blocks and added the green polka dot fabric to make it big enough.
Here you can see the block that made up the quilt.
I used a green thread on the front and a blue on the back. You can see the quilting motif I free motioned. It’s really easy once you’ve done it a few times and I have.
It was damp outside and the grass was wet so I brought it into the house to lay it on the floor so I could get a flat picture.
All and all I’m super happy with it. I did use quite a bit of my own fabric in order to have enough for the whole quilt…but I would say 80% of the fabric for the top came for leftovers that blog readers sent. It was so fun to play with.
I really love a challenge and just love getting some castaways and designing quilts from them. MANY thanks to the blog readers that sent me their scraps. I have truly enjoyed playing with them.
If anyone is keeping track, that makes two large quilts, this medium quilt and one baby quilt I have made with the leftovers. I know for sure I have at least two more that will likely be happening. Scrappy makes me happy!!