Puppycat the Poison Eater

A post from Kelli–

Yup!  You read that right.  Puppycat got into some mouse poison and ate it.  Anyone that lives on a farm knows that in the fall when they start taking out crops, you are at a greatly increased chance of having some little furry unwanted visitors.  We have fallen victim this year as we have most every year.

After our ultrasound appointment on Monday, we ran through Walmart and grabbed a few things–One of them being mouse poison.  I wasn’t feeling well when we got home and so Jason helped me carry stuff in the house.  We got all of the food put away, but I just figured I’d get everything else put away later.  Well later turned out to be much later than I thought and when I woke up this morning, I happened to find the entire package of mouse poison (8-1 ounce pieces) ripped apart on the living room floor with just a few crumbs laying around.  I hopped on the internet to see what to do and realized that nothing I was going to do at home was going to help, so I called the vet.

After a bit of looking and research, I was connected with the vet who informed me that this was not good.  Very not good.  She reccommended hydrogen peroxide and a trip to the Emergency Vet in Cedar Rapids–2 hours away.  She said she would call ahead to get them the information, but facilities around here do not offer the critical 24 hours care that she would likely need.  She said she’d call me back with an address and let me know if they wanted us to do anything else before we left.

PANIC!!! I texted Jason to call me immediately!  I ransacked the bathroom looking for hydrogen perioxide without success.  By then Jason had called and was grabbing some from his mom and dad and was headed down the hill.

We took Puppycat to the shop and started the wonderful process of making her drink hydrogen peroxide–Way to much from what I later found out.  She was able to puke a few different times and was able to get some chunks out which I felt was promising.  I ended up on the phone with our wonderful vet again and she told us that the emergency vet wanted her to have some activated charcoal before we left also.

I threw some things in a bag because I didn’t know how long we’d be gone.  I rounded up some old towels, a bucket and paper towels.  Jason jumped in the car with us and we were off.  She puked on the way a few times, but got pretty good at getting it in the bucket by the time we got to the vet’s office in Calmar.  Lori was amazing and helped us get as much activated charcoal in her as we could and we were off!

I have honestly never felt like what normally takes two hours could take so long.  I’m assuming it’s like this whenever there is a critical event, but I swear it felt like time was crawling.

This was my view the majority of the way.  She just snuggled up with Jason and tried to nap….right along with Jason.  I was so glad that he was able to go with.  If I would have had to go myself I could have figured it out, but I was worried that if she started puking, we’d end up with two of us…because that was one of those additional preggo problems this morning.

We ended up running through McDonalds in Oelwein on our way to grab some food becasue neither of us had ate breakfast and I was starting to feel pretty woozy and Jason needed a bathroom break.  We took turns sitting with her while the other was inside.

It just broke my heart.  She looked like she felt so horrid…which I’m sure she did!  She wasn’t even interested in our food a bit while we were eating!

After what seemed like forever, we finally arrived at the Emergency Vet!

It was super easy to get to, even though it was on the opposite side of Cedar Rapids as we live.  Once we got in, they jumped right into action.  It was a little embarrassing when I had to tell them that her name was Puppycat, but I did have a little giggle when they called her name overhead as triage.  They took her back and I called the poison control line to help get a treatment plan in place for her so that the vet would be able to treat her according to their recommendations.

To make a long story short, the plan is for her to stay there for 24 to 48 hours in the Doggy ICU.  I asked if I could stay with her, but they politely said no which I completely understand.  She will be getting 2 more doses of the activated charcoal to help bind the poison and will be on IV fluids as well.  They also have 24 hour critical care available which put me at ease.  They said that with the poison, there is a greater risk of brain swelling and death.  The dose that she injested and the amount that they believe stayed in is atleast twice the toxic dose, so I’m glad that she’s where she needs to be.

Jason and I always joke that if someone would buy her for a million dollars, he’d sell her off.  Now we will have to add to that cost a bit!

As horrible as all of this is, I did think of a few things I’m thankful for in the whole situation–as a way to prevent myself from absolutely sobbing on the way down there.  I’m thankful that I found it quickly before she was symptomatic.  I’m thankful that Jason was able to go with me.  I’m thankful that I’ve been feeling better over the past week and her puking didn’t bother me.  I’m glad that I had a reliable vehicle to get us where we needed to go.  I’m glad that I have access to a wonderful veteranarian and staff (Thanks Postville Vet Clinic!) that knew what was needed and didn’t shy away from sending me where she needed to go–and Lori who was so helpful in getting as much of that lovely activated charcoal down as possible!  I’m thankful that I have been able to get my resources in line so that I don’t have to worry as much about finances in a situation like this!

The emergency vet will be calling twice a day to give updates and let me know how things are going.  They did say that there may be some lasting neurological deficits, but I’ll still love my little Puppycat anyway!

Oh and there’s another thing to be thankful for–

Of course the ultrasound tech can’t say if there is any issues with our little kiddo on the ultrasound, but she did say that things looked pretty good and that my OB would be following up with us if we had any questions.  When we had the ultrasound done, the little stinker was so active and kicking the whole time.  I am starting to feel the movement and it is definitely interesting. Usually they are able to get a 3D pictures, but this little one didn’t think it was needed and wouldn’t hold still.  I told Jason that meant it was definitely his kid as he hates pictures too!  We aren’t finding out if it’s a boy or a girl….but it’s definitely a baby–and one that’s measuring about a week big too!  Which I find crazy and surprising considering how sick and crappy I’ve been feeling.

UPDATE–Puppy is home!  I never thought I could be so happy after 2 – 4 hour round tips, a night of minimal sleep, and bawling my eyes out.  I’m sure that might change come March!  They called Tuesday night and a few of her electrolytes were out of balance so they were watching those, but they called me Wednesday morning to tell me I could come and get her.  I have to work an overnight tonight at the hospital, so I wanted to make sure I could be home with her during the day today.  I finished up a few things at work and headed out.

When I got there, they had to announce her name for discharge.  I kind of giggled and the people that were behind me waiting for their dog got a good giggle in too!  After what seemed like forever, a tech came out to explain her discharge.  She will have to be on Omeprazole or Priolosec for a while because of her risk for stomach ulcers.  Other than that, we just need to monitor her for any neurological deficits, changes in walking, etc for a few days and she should be just fine!

They told me that she had been eating and drinking well and was definitely all beagle when it came to eating.  They said that she had behaved and was a nice little dog–which I’m sure they tell everyone!

She was excited for a ride!  She jumped in and was ready and raring to go–But had to wait until I got done ugly cry-sobbing!  Once she got snuggled up, she was out and slept the entire ride home–Until we reached the gravel road that we live on.  I told myself it was because she knew we were close to home, but in all reality, I’m sure that it was because of the difference in the car ride.

Once we got home, we got all snuggled up on the couch and there we stayed!

Needless to say, I’m pretty thrilled that she’s back home.  I don’t even want to think about what I’d do without her!


16 thoughts on “Puppycat the Poison Eater”

  1. Phyllis Singler

    Oh my goodness, how absolutely frightening. Glad pup is home and doing better. Sorry you had to go through this

  2. I am so happy that the outcome was so positive, my own little Lucy somewhere found an ant trap and ate the entire thing, emergency vet had us do the peroxide thing but they had us put a little peanut butter on the bottom of the bowl and also add water. All turned out well thankfully.

  3. I’ve been sobbing as I read this yet holding my breath until the end of you post. I am so relieved that Puppycat is back home now with you!! Back in the dark ages when I married at 18 yrs old I was cleaning the toilet with Lysol Toilet Cleaner & our phone rang. I went to answer & chattered awhile then remembered I was cleaning toilet with strong chemicals. I went back to the bathroom & there was our special pet, beautiful young a to vet with our unconscious dog. Sadly, she passed away that evening at the vets. I will never forget her. She will always be with me in my heart.

  4. Oh my gosh!! I was so glad to read the update and that you were able to take Puppycat home! That is so scary. I’ve owned 3 beagles and I totally get how they are. They eat it now…afraid that they might not get the chance later! Congrats on the ultrasound too. So much fun to see those little guys!

  5. sorry about my incomplete post I still become upset when I think about what happened to our special pet, a beautiful young but large German Shepherd especially that as soon as she drank those chemicals she had a seizure. Even though my husband and I rushed our unconscious dog to the vets she did pass away. I will never forget her and she will always be with me in my heart.

  6. Ok, with a baby coming you need a suggestion. We buy catchmaster mouse and insect glue traps at Walmart., Use these instead of poison, even if you don’t have an issue in the house for poison if it makes it somewhere outside like the town dump another predator could eat the mouse or whatever you catch and then die themselves.. The glue traps work really well and sticky is much easier to deal with kid wise or pet wise. Good luck in future.

  7. Susan the Farm Quilter

    So glad Puppycat is home! I had a Beagle growing up and she would eat anything…including a whole ham! Her tummy was tight as a drum because the ham made her thirsty!! She was miserable for several hours but ended up living to the ripe old age of 16. Gotta love those eyes and ears. Definitely as hard when our fur babies are sick as when our people babies are sick…both make you feel the worst!! Cheers to the new baby – they are always fun to see in the ultrasound!!

  8. Carol Lorraine Stearns

    The look on her face is priceless! I dont even want to know how much all this cost you. Just love her! What we do for our pets. Our doxie had back surgery 2 years ago to the tune of $3500 but we wouldn’t think of doing anything else for him. Won’t let him jump anymore if we can help it.

  9. So happy to see the ultrasound. Sorry to hear that you and Puppycat have been puking.
    I am glad to hear Puppycat is on the road to recovery.

  10. I came home from work one day to find my dog in the act of eating rat poison. It was in a garden shed that my husband left open while working in the yard. He was doing something and hadn’t noticed what the dog was up to. I called the number on the poison box and was advised to give the dog hydrogen peroxide. I used a turkey baster to get it into him. It only took a few moments to work its “magic”. I think because we caught him while he was eating it and got it out of him immediately, he didn’t need a doctor’s visit. After reading your story I realize we dodged a bullet on that one. I’ m glad everything turned out okay for you and Puppycat.

  11. Glad the puppy is doing better. Unfortunately rat poison also kills the rat predators too. A single owl can eat 3000 rats and mice a year. Traps keep other animals and kids safer.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top