My daughter Kelli and I have been working REALLY hard on our Perkiomen Daydreams quilts.
We have made LOTS of progress since this picture was taken. We’ve added the three more rows to this quilt to finish it and we are working on the next quilt.
When we initially decided to make these, I was nervous. I couldn’t figure out how to organize the blocks and rows so that they wouldn’t get twist. Time and time when I’ve made quilts, I’ve twisted the blocks. Kelli had a great strategy. She made a copy of the diagram layout from the book. Then she would pick up a block and label it with the row number making sure that the first block started out in the right direction. She would pin the row together using the diagram as a guide.
Once the rows were pinned together, she would cross the row off the diagram and start the next row. While she was doing that, I was starting to pin the rows together. I had no trouble keep the rows straight as they were labeled with numbers. I knew that the number always had to be facing up and the smaller number always went to the top.
My plan had been to just lay them out on the floor like I usually do. That plan would have NEVER worked. Wish us luck. If all goes well, we will finish up the second quilt top this morning…then it’s onto the Orca Bay mystery we have been working on. If you are looking for the pattern for Perkiomen Daydreams, you can find it in this Bonnie Hunter book, Scraps and Shirttails 1.