When Judy at Patchwork Times picked #6 as the UFO challenge project, I happily went to my cupboard, and pulled the project out. After getting myself reacquainted with the project again, I started to try to figure out why I left this project behind.
I remember being busy with other projects at the time but why….why did this one get banished to the cupboard? It wasn’t long and was ready to send it back to the cupboard.
I trudged through three of the blocks and I started to get that feeling again…I started to think, this one still is not going to get finished. Then I started to think…I could just give this project away. I’ve been giving things from my sewing room away lately, why not this?
Then I decided think about this. WHY DO I HATE THIS PROJECT? After careful thinking, this is what I decided.
This project was a Block of the month. The shop I purchased it from did not label the fabrics in each installment. Each monthly installment had 5-6 fabrics. Each block has over 35 pieces. I have spent about 15 minutes reading and re-reading each block instructions so that I can try to figure out which fabric is number 3..which fabric is number 2. I measured and read, measured and read. UGH! That is FRUSTRATING for me.
The pattern is printed on tan paper. Each color is represented by a slightly different shade. NONE of the shades are textured. I have mixed up fabrics several times simply because the shades are too close in color and have no pattern to distinguish one fabric from another.
The pattern will call for quarter square triangles and half square triangles. Often times these triangles are VERY close to the same size. UGH!
I no longer like the fabric.
I sewed for three hours last night…. this is what I have to show of the large medallion block.
See those big blank spots where triangles are supposed to go. I started sewing them TWO different times. Both failed. UGH! Once I got the wrong fabric and the triangles were too small. The other time I grabbed the wrong fabric and ended up with only six blocks and not enough fabric left over to make more triangles…UGH.
Here’s my pile of left over fabric that were supposed to be in the quilt but aren’t due to mistakes.
I finally went through my cupboard, found some workable fabric and re-cut all the pieces for the triangles…hopefully tonight I will get the medallion block finished. I guarantee it will not look like the pattern in color but it will be finished.
Here’s a few other problems I’ve run into…the shop that hosted the block of the month changed the fabrics at times substituting a dark for a light fabric. Sometimes when I was looking for a light fabric I couldn’t find it.
My next problem is already in sight…UGH. As this project was coming to a close a different local shop was going out of business. I picked up yardage of several fabrics thinking it would be enough to finish the quilt. The fabric was 70 percent off. Well, I am a half yard too short of one fabric. Then for the pieced setting triangles, I don’t have any fabric. I looked to try to find the amount I need to purchase. No luck. Those cutting instructions were given only to the shop so they could cut the kits.
All in all….I can’t wait to give this quilt away. I can’t wait for to be gone.
These are some conclusions I have come to. I am attracted to quilts often because of the designers….sometimes I like the way write directions….sometimes I like their coloring. I get comfortable with certain designers and prefer only their patterns.
I LOVE SCRAP QUILTS!!! They are SO forgiving. If you run out of a fabric grab another….This quilt is totally NOT for me.
I have decided I am not a Block of the Month girl. I don’t think I ever will be!! The good news. While I sewing that monster, I sewed LOTS of leaders and enders together…oh how I love leaders and enders!!