I told you that I’ve been off of childcare while I’ve been taking my oral chemo. I’ve been trying to find a nice mix of getting some stuff done and taking it easy. Our son, Karl, is watching me and keeping me in line. He stops by most days and checks that I’m not doing too much.
I’ve made a deal with him that I can write blog posts, cross-stitch, quilt, and do a couple of other odd jobs. Nothing big. I’ve been doing my best to stay in compliance.
I really do want to get some things done around here so I’ve implemented a do one job I want to get done that I’ve wanted to get done for a long time.
On this day’s list was a new ironing board cover for the ironing board on the main floor.
The problem is that my ironing board isn’t any old ironing board. It’s a special one by the company Rid-Jid. You can see the old ad for them below.
The ironing board was designed so that you can sit at it when ironing. The other fun feature is that at the end there is a lever that can be turned and “wings” expand out to make the end square. See??
This works great when I am ironing a whole quilt top or backing for a quilt.
I bought my ironing board in 2010 at the thrift store. I splurged and paid $6 for it. The other ironing boards there were wooden and were only $1. At the time I didn’t know the end folded out. I just knew that the ironing board seemed really sturdy.
Making an ironing board cover for it is always a challenge. I had the original pad that went on it. I laid out the fabric and put the pad on top. I roughly cut around it but allowed for the extended end.
I made a casing around the outside.
Then it was time to find my Purple Thing. I love this for putting elastic or cord through to make a drawstring.
Only problem…I couldn’t find it..well, I found this one first. It’s a similar concept. I used it to feed some elastic through the casing.
Once I had the elastic through it was time to try it on.
Here it is with the sides expanded…
Here it is with the sides collapsed. I wish it were a little tighter but, if I want it to expand, it has to be like this when the sides are pulled in. The good news, I typically have the sides out so…no worries.
I’m so happy…another job tackled. Nothing stressful. Karl should approve of this. I got something done but I didn’t tear apart a room and put it all back together…a win all around!!