Earlier this week I showed you a quilt that I was suppose to have done this summer for a family wedding. It’s an easy design so in a short couple of hours I had the blocks sewn together and the project loaded and on the quilting frame. I had wanted to use the extra fabric that I used on the top for the backing but after a few measurements I could see that I’d have to be creative to use it up.
Well I had a couple extra blocks left over that I could work them. I measure. I ended up cutting the fabric I had in half. Then I seamed it together. It was wider than I needed. I cut the extra width off. I added two extra blocks to it. It covered the length. It was all okay.
I loaded the quilt and started quilting away….I was so happy. It was looking so nice. There is something really pleasing about sewing your own designs and loving the quilt. I was so excited. Everything was going so good…no machine problems…no nothing until UGH….There wasn’t enough backing.
So what did I do…I went to town. I didn’t want to deal with this. Errands sounded so much more fun than dealing with this.
Once I was back I had a plan. I found a chunk of fabric that matched the best it could.
I cut two pieces that were 9″ each. I seamed them together and ironed it. I unpinned the backing from the canvas. I pinned the new piece of fabric to the backing that was there.
I put the base on the machine and sewed the quilt backing to the new piece of fabric.
Next I pinned the new piece of fabric that was now attached to the quilt backing to the canvas and I was ready to go.
It took about a half hour to get everything going again. Easy no. Pain in the butt. YES. Quilt saved..YES and that’s the most important. It’s looking pretty good and off the frame now.
I love it and it all looks okay. I’ll give you some close up pictures once I get the quilt bound. For now, it’s all good again.