This is my appointment week for my cancer screening. It’s the week of the long drives and what I hope will come to some sort of plan. Our kids have been trying to plan birthday parties and get togethers wondering when I was free or not free. Scotty’s birthday party is July 19th, and I sure hope to be there…but can I be? Who knows!
Every time some event comes up I have to go back and explain everything all over again. I just don’t know what is going to happen. I think I know one of three plans will happen. But which one, I have no idea.
Here’s what I think the options are:
I do the full body scan. They don’t see anything. They tell me to come back in the fall and testing starts all over again. This plan is my least favorite. I would have my life back for a few months though.
I do the full body scan. They don’t see anything. They decide to treat me anyway, as my number has gone up so much higher. I get the radioactive iodine dose and can’t be around people regularly for 21 days. This plan is my favorite and quickest…but probably not the most conclusive. I could go to Scotty’s party and plan a life.
I do the full body scan. They find something. They decide surgery is warranted. They schedule surgery. I recover and six weeks later they put me back on the diet for two weeks, I get radioactive iodine to “clean it up” and then I can’t be around anyone for 21 days. This looks long and drawn out but, this looks like the best long term option…but something has to show up on the scan for this to happen. Plan #3 also takes a LONG time. It would likely be a couple weeks or a month before I can get in to surgery. I’ll have 6 weeks of recovery after that…then two weeks of diet then the shots and radioactive iodine dosing then the 21 days of quarantine. I looked at a calendar and this plan would drag me out until the beginning of October before I was past this (at least for awhile again). This would be the best chance of clearing out the cancer so even though annoying to drag it out, it would likely be the most thorough…and one I should hope for. Also if this happens, the doctors have a better way to calculate the best dosage for me.
So who knows what I’ll be doing in the next month or two or three…or maybe there’s another option that I don’t even know about. If nothing else, cancer teaches a person patience and it teaches a person to appreciate each day, even if it’s not a fabulous day.
Today is the day I find out. All I know for sure is that my hope is that whatever is best for my long term health is decided on. If it’s plan #3 and it’s long and drawn out, if that’s the best solution, I’m okay…if plan #1 and we wait it out until fall, I don’t love this, but if it’s the best option, I’ll be okay with that too. As I said, whatever is best is what I’m hoping for. As I always say, I’m just so incredibly thankful that I feel well. I’ve not overly tired. I don’t feel sick. I don’t love the diet but that is a small price. It will be over soon. I’ll let you know when I can what ended up happening.