If you’ve been reading the blog over the last month you’ll know that I’ve been participating in the Dirty Dozen UFO challenge. Mary at Chicken Scratch Country Threads is hosting. She asked that whoever wanted to join in could number their unfinished project 1-12 and then each month she picks a number and that’s the project you work on to try to get finished.
Well me, being the over achiever that I can sometimes be, has WAY more unfinished projects than 12 so I made up 2 1/2 lists. Yep. I had that many unfinished projects. Of course with all I have going on I am not going to finish them all over the course of the next 12 month but darn it, I’m going to really try to get as many done as I can.
This month the number was #5.
That was this project…
Sorry I can’t show it off. It’s going to be published as a pattern….but I wanted to show my progress for the month so this is the best I can do. The quilt is entirely finished…directions and pictures are not. For the part I care about now, it’s done.
I had another #5 project and I’ve been busting to try to get into a top before the end of the month and here we are at the end of the month, the last day, July 31st. Did I make it?
The project is Bargello in Plaid.
I stitched and snuck in time whenever I could with the hope that I would at least get the center finished. I had the panels sewn as I sewed a panel together every day for six days.
Then I sewed and sewed on Wednesday after Kayla and Jasper went home. My goal was to get those panels all sewn together. So as of Wednesday night, the center was done. Then I decided that had two more days. I might as well try to get the borders done too.
I know that doesn’t sound like a big accomplishment but it was…I had blog posts to catch up and write. I had a publication quilt that was on the frame that HAD to get finished…could I really find enough time to
Wednesday evening one of the kids called me. While I was talking on the phone I cut the borders. Before I went to bed I sewed and ironed the border pieces.
Thursday morning I was up early and before I went downstairs, I had the inner borders on.
Then when I took a lunch break on Thursday (I ate a sandwich on purpose) I sewed while I ate so I could get that outer border on.
I’m happy to say it’s a top…See??
The outer border is a chambray fabric. I love it. I’m so happy I pushed to get it finished.
So after one month of UFO work of my 32 UFOs, I have:
#5-3 Black and White quilt FINISHED
#5-1 Bargello in Plaid is a top
#9-2 Mickey Mouse Crooked Courthouse Steps FINISHED and gifted
#1-3 I gave this one away so it gone!! YAHOO!!
I am so happy with that progress. I’m not sure how I’ll do next month. I have a couple deadline projects that I’ll need to work on so who knows how much I’ll get done. Know that tomorrow when Mary picks the next number, I’m going to be sewing on it!! This has been great inspiration for me so far. I do plan to load the Bargello in Plaid top onto the machine and get that quilted.
If I could pick the August number, #2. I’d love to get my Churn Dash quilt done…