If you read the blog recently Kalissa and I are working together on a kitchen challenge. Both of us have full cupboards and full freezers and want to use things up.
Our goal was to only spend $100 on groceries from April 15th to May 15th. We weren’t allowed to buy meat and we both want to focus on using that money on perishable products like milk, fruits, and veggies. I’ve continued on with the challenge but decided to quit worrying about the dollar amount I spend and instead focus primarily on using things up. Now I’m buying what I run out of or perishable products. That’s it. I’m super committed and I’m so happy with the progress I’ve made.
Here are some of the things I’ve done this week. I’ve had this Lentil Soup mix but I haven’t used as once I got home I realized it said Spicy…ugh. I like spice but a New Orleans favorite that says spicy makes me believe that it will be more spice than I prefer. I tried to think of how to use it up then realized that the spice is in a separate package inside the main package. I would just use a little of the spice, taste and then see if I wanted to add more.
I used up some questionable carrots too.
When I went to the cabinet to get chicken broth I ended up pulling out the vegetable version instead. I had bought it when Kayla was eating vegan but she’s eating a bit of meat now so I don’t need to worry about that. I wanted to use the vegetable base up and probably won’t buy that again.
So how was the spice on the lentil soup…still a little hot and I only used half of the packet. Thank heavens I didn’t use the whole pack. I ended up adding sour cream and it was just fine.
After I last week’s post on my kitchen challenge a blog reader suggested using up cake mixes by making them into cookies. I ended up doing that and used up two cake mixes. Yahoo. Can you believe I still have some cake mixes left…I do.
Blog reader Cheryl shared the recipe. She writes:
“I make cake mix cookies. It takes 1 cake mix, (most any flavor) 2 eggs and and 1/2 cup of oil. (You can add in any kind of goodies you like…chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, dried cherries, etc. I have even used vanilla cake mix and rolled them in cinnamon sugar to make snickerdoodles.) Mix up and bake at 350 for 12 minutes.”
Thanks for the recipe…that’s two less cake mixes in my cabinet.
Kalissa and Craig hosted a preschool recognition party for Carver. I volunteered to make some food. Kalissa said make whatever I want. She was serving walk tacos.
Rather than think of what to make and go buy the groceries, I decided to make something with what I have. Being Kalissa didn’t care what I made, it made it a lot easier.
Here’s what I made…Sour Cream Rhubarb pie. I used my Blueberry Cream Pie recipe which you can find HERE. The only changes I made was I used sour cream instead of blueberries…I increased the sugar to one cup. Oops…one more change. I used plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
I made four pies…two for Kalissa’s house and two for mine.
The reason I decided to make pie…Kelli brought me a half gallon of plain yogurt. I had no idea how to use that all up. This pie was the perfect thing. I used up four cups of the yogurt. I’m relatively sure I’ll use the rest up by making more pie.
I made a pan of seven layer bars. I had this pack of Cherry filled chocolate chips that needed to used up. I thought these bars would be the perfect way to use them. They were a real success. They taste like chocolate covered cherries.
If you haven’t made these bars before, it’s super easy.
Melt one stick of butter in the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs across the bottom to absorb the butter. Put a layer of coconut on top of that. Then used the bag of chips shown. It was a 9 oz bag then I used regular chocolate chips and filled in the rest. After that drizzle a can of sweet and condensed milk over the top.
This recipe was PERFECT for a kitchen cleanout as I had the chips, coconut, graham cracker crumbs and sweet condensed milk that was all coming close on their expiration dates. YAHOO! That was a success.
The last thing I made was another batch of Calico beans.
As per my usual, I did alter the recipe yet again. Last week I told you I was working on using up dried beans. This used a bunch. I also had three bottles of BBQ sauce in the cabinet. I used some in this…I also had pork neck bones in the freezer that needed to be used. I cooked them up and put them in the beans. I told you about substitutions I made to the original recipe and post the the original recipe HERE.
I’m still sticking with the challenge. My cabinets are looking so much better. I have a ways to go yet but I sure feel a lot better about it all. Stop back next week and see what I’m up to.