So on Sunday afternoon, I filmed an episode of “Sew with Jo”. My plan was to work on my Old World Fantasy quilt. That is this quilt…
It is a mystery from Quilted Twins. I was working on it last year as Covid hit. I was also working on Bonnie Hunter’s Unity quilt along…and of course, mask making.
I completely lost my steam on this project. I like the quilt. I love the colors, but I was not in the mood to finish it. BUT, I was in the mood to have more UFO projects finished. I was in the mood to have my sewing room cleaner.
This project has never been officially put away. It’s sat on a stool in my sewing room with the hope that I’d get the desire to jump on it and finish it.
That desire to “jump on in” never happened. Then two weeks ago I decided that I would make a commitment to sew one more row on every week. I grumbled but each week I added a row.
Well, on Sunday Kalissa called me and said, “Film a video Mom”. I will edit it on Monday. I didn’t have anything immediately planned so decided I would do a “Sew with Jo”. The only problem, I really didn’t have anything to work on. That’s when I remembered that I had this quilt. I needed to make more sashing blocks. So I decided I would sew them for the “Sew with Jo”.
In the video, I told all about how I was going to power through and do one more row each week until it was finished. I told all about how I was running out of steam for the quilt. I told all about how I was needing to make myself do just one more row each week.
Well, a bit into the video I realized that it was hard to talk and sew when I needed to sew long strips together so I switched gears a little and worked on my spider web blocks and then went back and did the strip sewing after that.
I sewed for about an hour with you all. HERE it is…
But…after I was done with the video, something happened…I thought to myself, how long would it take if I just applied myself and got this sewn? I decided to find out…so…
I sewed as far I could. I added rows. I added sashing. I got to the corner and realized I needed another block. I thought about quitting right there. I had done more than I committed to for the week. At this point, I think I had three weeks’ worth of commitment done. That was good. But I thought nope, power through. So I went to the project bucket and pulled out these pieces that were what I thought were leftovers. I found the directions for the block and made it.
I sewed that row together and onto the quilt. All I had left now was the very corner and a sashing row. Darn. I was one block short in the sashing row so I made that.
From there, again I thought to quit. I had done what I needed to be able to clean up the tote that had been sitting with the sewing room, after all that was one of my goals right? I decided nope. I was going to iron it and trim the sides.
I hate quilts that require me to trim the sides. I feel so unsure of myself when I trim. I know that about me and I knew if I didn’t keep going with this little bit of momentum that I would likely let this top languish once again. So I trimmed.
I did have a small interruption. Karl brought me chocolates…I love him for thinking of me! The one on the left was chocolate-covered bacon. YUM. Another was chocolate covered crushed potato chips. That was good too…plus truffles!! I didn’t eat it all…I tried some and put the rest away.
But, back to my quilt. Here is the center of the quilt…
I know it’s not perfect. I know a couple of the blocks are twisted. I honestly don’t care. In fact, once I noticed one was twisted I purposely kept twisting them. Now, so many are twisted that it doesn’t look like it’s “wrong”. I am perfectly fine with it. I know some of you are gasping and it’s totally okay if you are. At this point, I am doing what I can to get to a finish on this.
I’ve already decided this is going to the fire department benefit if they have one. At this point, I haven’t heard what the plan is. That is the beginning of March so I’ll know soon. It also gives me a focus to keep working on this…
I am still committed to completion. I’m hoping by Monday I can show you a finished top. I’m adding borders in my morning sewing sessions. I think with a few half-hour sessions I can have the borders on. I did already pick the fabrics and cut them out. The pieced border is already together so..I think I can do it.
So…I apologize for misleading you while I was filming the video. I really had no intention of working on this quilt except to work towards getting my one more row on. Happily, the momentum was there so I just kept powering through. Hopefully, that momentum will stick and I’ll have that finished top to show on Monday and I’ll not be writing another retraction for saying something and not doing what I said…in this case, I think you’ll all forgive me. I know all of you if you had the momentum to keep going on a UFO you’d do it too!!
Check back Monday and see if I have it finished and in the meantime, please go watch my latest “Sew with Jo”.