I picked up an old project and I’m working full speed ahead on it. The project is Geese on a String from Bonnie Hunter’s book String Frenzy. I made the scrappy triangle blocks long ago. Bonnie had them on her blog and had a tutorial on how to make the scrappy blocks but the pattern stopped there. I always thought a pattern would come out and but for the longest time it didn’t. Then when the new book came out, there was a pattern that used the scrappy triangle blocks I had.
Oh. My. I like the quilt but this didn’t compliment the color choices I had made. UGH. Now what to do? On top of that, I had made more than double the amount of triangles I needed. Hmmm.
In January I came up with a plan. I would make two quilts and gift them…either as graduation or childcare presents. I decided to change up the color scheme. The triangles got scrappy white based corners. I would not make the four patches completely scrappy. I would make only pink and white four patches.
I got working on that and then…Kramer got diagnosed with cancer. The project came to a stand still. It’s been sitting on my treadle sewing machine ever since. In an effort to clean my sewing room I decided these are going to get finished. So I started piecing the strips together.
When I first started piecing them, I wasn’t a fan….but the more I work with them, I like them. Here I am giving on of them a good ironing before I start in on the borders.
This is the purple based one.
This picture shows the true color a little bit better.
They are BUSY…very BUSY!
This is the pink version.
It was raining so I couldn’t take the pictures outside in better lighting. Again, this close up is better lighting and more like the actual colors.
I cut the inner borders. The one with the purple solid is getting a purple inner border and the one with the pink solid is getting a pink solid inner border.
After that it’s scrappy piano borders for these and those are already started.
These quilts feel like they are going together in lightning speed but it’s easy to forget that LONG ago I made the triangles. Long ago I sewed the strips. Now it’s really just putting them together.
I’ll be thrilled to get these done…partly for a finish…partly to clean them up out of the sewing room and party because I’ll have two gifts finished!!
Watch for these to be headed to the quilting machine soon. I’m sticking with my commitment that I won’t put any quilts in a flimsy pile. They are getting machine quilted right away….I’m NOT adding to that pile.