You might remember that sometime in the last month or so that I wrote a blog post asking if any of you had ever made every quilt in a quilt book. The idea has stuck with me and that’s exactly what I’m going to attempt. I’m even giving myself a goal….that means I am serious. If you missed that post it’s here.
Here’s my plan. I am taking Bonnie Hunter’s String Fling book and am making EVERY quilt in the book. Here’s where I was at the last tally.
There are 13 quilts in the book.
I have 8 completely finished.
I have the 2 Zuckerwatte quilts done now
I have Pineapple Crazy pretty far along.
I have three not started.
That has since changed. The two Zuckerwatte quilts are almost finished….and the other three formerly not started quilts have some progress….not a lot but some. Today I’m going to tell you a little bit about my experience with the quilt Daylilies from the book. The quilt has had me a little intimidated….correction. A lot intimidated.
I decided one block…if I hate it, I can have a pass on this quilt.
I like quilting for ease. I don’t pick quilts with in-set seams. I don’t pick quilts with applique. I decided that I would make one block. If I hated it, I wouldn’t make it but I had to give one block a fair try….here’s what happened.
I cut out one block and sewed it when Connie, Jody and Kelli came for a quilting day. I figured I might need a little moral support…It turns out I didn’t have a problem sewing the inset seams at all…BUT I did have another problem that I overcame. I was using batiks so it’s harder to orient the blocks the right way as with batiks there is no right or wrong side. I had to rip once but got the pieces turned the right way. Then I ended up with a different problem.
There is an incorrect measurement listed in the directions. The corner block with the flowers needs to be cut at 2 1/2″ not the 2″ I tried and tried but there is no way the 2″ piece works in the corner of the flower block. You might want to make that correction in your book.
Once I got that figured out I was in business and working on the block making the other matching flower blocks needed to make the large flower block. I felt really comfortable with the inset seams and was not longer worried about that part of the block at all. I set that all aside happy that I might be about to tackle this quilt.
Next up on a day in the future I planned to tackle the applique. That day came the next day during nap time. I had dug around, sure that I had some applique bars that would help me make the stems. I had bought them YEARS ago and didn’t remember using them.
I figured out that I wanted the strips to be 3/8″ wide. That left me cutting bias strips 1 1/4″ wide.
I put the rod in and manipulated the fabric so the seam was in the back.
I pressed and then pulled the rod out and pressed again.
Now it was time to figure out how to place the applique pieces on the fabric. I ironed my fabric on the diagonal. That left me with a guide of where to place the main stem.
I ended up making a dot 5 1/2″ up from the bottom corner. That left me with a place to start the curved stem at.
Then I checked…I and measured 2 1/4″ down from the upper corner. This is necessary so that I can have the stem in the right place when it meets up the the flower part of the block.
In the end I pinned the pieces in place like this.
From there I made a master block so that if in case I want to make this whole quilt of these blocks, I’ll have a guide.
The next day over nap time…I stitched it all in place. Then that night, I got brave and sewed it all together!! Here’s how my block looks.
The process of making this block wasn’t too bad. I did it and it didn’t kill me! I still have to add the leaves but that’s doable. I think I am going to go for it and tackle this quilt. I can work on the applique during nap time if I want. As you can see I’m going to do it in batiks…can you believe I’ve already got a project box started for it.
I’m not rushing through this one but hope to get some prep work done so that I can stitch them in the evenings once Hubby’s done with harvest and we watch television a few evenings if I decide not to do it during nap time. So with that, it looks like I started another project!!