Back when I started cross-stitching I was so excited to find Priscilla and Chelsea from Stitching with the Housewives on Youtube. They hosted a Flosstube that I enjoyed watching. They were stitching things and finishing them in ways I never heard of. At them time, I only knew of framing and matting. I was so excited to see different ways of finishing things. SO EXCITED. That is part of what drew me back into cross-stitching.
Anyway, I started finishing my things the “Priscilla” way. Then after doing several pieces, I realized Priscilla’s way of decorating was not my way of decorating. I like old antiques and lots of mostly unpainted wood. I can take an element or two of a farmhouse look but she is full-blown farmhouse.
The problem…I finished a few things Priscilla way before I realized that it really wasn’t my way. This is one of those pieces.
This is how it looked after I finished it the first time. The borders are too wide for me and I just didn’t like it. In fact, every year after the first year I finished it, I never displayed it because I didn’t like it.
I pulled it apart…
I trimmed and ironed it. I used hot glue when I originally finished it. Thankfully I could cut the all off. I found this awesome homespun in my stash. Thanks so much to the blog reader who sent it my way. It was PERFECT. I added a piece to the front…then I put interfacing on both pieces.
I sewed it around three sides, clipped the corners, and turned it right side out.
Then I started stuffing. I used mostly crushed walnut shells. You can find them HERE. The crushed walnuts sadly don’t just fall to the bottom and pack all on their own. I packed them until they were hard using a stuffing stick that comes in the poly-fil bag. I stuffed mine super tight. A the very bottom I stuffed in just enough poly-fil so the crushed walnuts would spill out as I stitched the opening shut.
Here it was all stuffed. Sorry for the bad picture.
I dug in my trims and such and added a rusty star. Find them HERE. I also added some baker’s twine.
Here it is all out with my Christmas decor. Luckily this piece is winter themed not Christmas so it can be out in January too. YAHOO! I get to enjoy it longer.
I believe I likely stitched this on a 30-count fabric. The chart is from LizzieKate. I believe you would have to go to 123Stitch.com to find it.
I am so glad I redid the finish on this piece. I know now I will display it for years to come. That’s awesome. I hated that I had stitched something and wasn’t even displaying it. MUCH BETTER!!
I think I have the charts for some of the other seasons. This finish has me wondering if I want to stitch the other seasons too. This is so cute!